Best wired security cameras?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can all or most wired camera units accept cat 5 wiring or are they reserved for higher end units? I assume the American dynamics and axis brands are pretty high end....and expensive..?

Any IP camera will use cat 5 cable. If you get an ip camera that is POE compliant then you can also power it from the same cable. Even if you wanted to buy an off the shelf Analog system then you can still use cat 5 with cheap baluns ( think converter).

Last edited:

Maverick1911

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man those axis and American dynamics cameras are expensive! Anything more reasonably priced? Thanks spiritualguns fir the info on your system. I am looking into that one as well.

Maverick1911

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The link basically demonstrates that these high end camera systems can be hacked into. I am sure this is problematic for companies and banks etc....I am not too concerned with it for the house. Just want something that gives clear picture, won't break after a year outside and doesn't break the bank. I might be asking for too much!

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, it kinda falls in line with something I once saw at an auto repair shop.

You can have it fast and done right but it won't be cheap

You can have it fast and cheap but it won't be done right

You can have it cheap and done right but you won't get it fast

If you are going to have a system that is going to work well and last a while you will have to do a lot of footwork to find what is needed to make it as cheaply as possible but you have to ask what is your time worth to do it. Or shell out the cash and have it done quickly and know you have a good system.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The link basically demonstrates that these high end camera systems can be hacked into. I am sure this is problematic for companies and banks etc....I am not too concerned with it for the house. Just want something that gives clear picture, won't break after a year outside and doesn't break the bank. I might be asking for too much!

D link and others have had big holes in the security of their cameras. VM is right o address the fact that if you do get a system and hook it into the internet then you need to either know what you are doing or accept that people might be able to get into them ( it happens a LOT). The first best step is to get a good camera from a company who's main source of revenue is selling cameras and / or not to hook them up to the internet at all.

If you do get IP cameras I'd recommend creating a separate network for them. If you want to hook them up to the internet then get an NVR that has two network cards and separate the two networks

How much are you wanting to spend on a camera system? How many cameras are you wanting? Like I said earlier no matter which way you decide to go Id go ahead and run cat5 or cat6. That way you are good to go for the future

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Many hacked IP cams are not specifically targeted. Automated scripts run scanning IP addresses for vulnerabilities. OSA's webservers get hit with scripts that target IP cams on a fairly regular basis... not as often as other applications, but still regular. By the way... there was a time when many state/public entities used default credentials for their IP cam systems...

Just make sure your system has no internet access. If you want to access it remotely, you should set up a VPN. Not Fort Knox secure, but secure enough that those intimate moments in the kitchen don't randomly end up in certain corners of the web.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Blackbirdpilot

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have both analog and IP. I HIGHLY recommend skipping analog and going with IP. Make sure all your cams are POE capable so like has already been mentioned you can power them via the cat5 cable. You will need a POE switch as well if you don't already have one.
For really good and relatively inexpensive megapixel IP cams look at Hikvision. My Hikvision cam is so much better than my analog cams. Some of them are 700tvl cams and they just don't compare. They are cheaper once you have a dvr card to connect them to but you will be ahead of the game to just skip it altogether and go with IP.
I also highly recommend Blue Iris for camera management. Its dirt cheap and has very much surpassed my expectations. I used Zoneminder for years and wish I had tried Blue Iris sooner.
For great service and prices on cameras check out Nellys Security in Tulsa.
They also have stuff for sale on amazon.

More more home security info than you ever wanted to know all in once place read this thread:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/...able_of_Contents_in_OP____Updated_17_Apr.html

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have over 5k cameras at our facilities. Ganz analog with a Balun and cat6 running power over brown and blue pairs and video over the orange pair. And Axis IP with cat6 running PoE on a PoE switch. I would highly recommend going with the Axis IP cameras. IP cameras using PoE require less equipment overall. If you want to keep it secure, keep it on a closed circuit.

Knowing your price range and how many cameras you want to install would help out a lot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom