Better to rebuild PS pump or buy new or refurb?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CutBaitNBlowSh*tUp4ALivin

I like rimfire and rimfire accessories. Yup. Mmhmm
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a SEVERE PS fluid leak in my buick (68 Buick Electra 430CI). It has the PS pump with reservoir. Rebuild kits start at $10 online and refurb pumps start at $50. Whats yalls personal experiences on power steering replacement?
My pump dumps a bottle a day out the bottom of it.

Also, little bit of BG info, this is not a very parts-friendly engine. No one rebuilds them, so Im not entirely sure I can even find a new pump.

Ive seen a few refurbs for sale, and the kits are cheap and SOUND simple, but what would yall do in my shoes?

Please excuse my rambling....Im still awake.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depending on price difference between new and refurb, that is the direction I would go. I have always had good luck at O'Reilleys, not so much with Auto Zone.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rock Auto is my hero. I have bought a ton of stuff off there working on my truck. Their service is second to none that I've dealt with. Prices blow everyone else out of the water for the stuff I've needed.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It lists the core charge at the right of the pic I posted. I'd probably get the reman Delco unit. That $45 includes a $7 core charge. Send that back and the price is $38. Or keep it for spare parts for $7.

Latest posts

Top Bottom