Bicyclists

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It really does. I no longer have to lag behind these people while on my bike. We can share a lane. Would it bother you if a motorcycle passed you in the same lane?

Not at all. Had it happen many many times.

Often motorcyclists get it.

Passing a cyclist really is not that complicated. If you start with 'don't be a dick' and work from there, no one is rarely in danger

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Motorists.
Two friends of mine killed while cycling in the last seven years. Both times by inattentive drivers. One used her family's connections to a small town DA to get off with a $99.00 ticket. The man she killed did two combat tours in Iraq and was an active duty Captain in the US army at the time of his death. He left behind a wife and a baby girl. People who knew the woman said she should have never been allowed to drive. Her family's political connections allowed her to get her driver's license.
The second incident involved a 90 year old man. His wife had been concerned about his driving in the months leading up to the incident, saying that she was, "afraid he was going to hit something." The someone he hit and killed with his one ton Ford truck was a 53 year old woman who had just learned that she had qualified for the Boston Marathon. She was on her way to have dinner with her husband to celebrate her achievement when she was run down from behind by a 90 year old man who never saw her. He ultimately faced no charges. She left behind a husband and an adult daughter.

Now, tell me about the motorists that have been hurt by bicyclists.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Which is why it helps to know a little about the consequences of creating policy, or outright banning things, that you don't seem to fully understand.

Because bikes have just as might right to the roadway as cars do, so it's really their choice. Another reason is there are many places to rides bikes where there aren't paths. If I want to ride my bike from OKC to Tulsa, where is the bike path? Even in the city, most point A to point B commutes don't encompass a bike path.

I'm not riding with cyclists when I know that it's not safe. Even you know that it's not safe, you experienced the hazards.

Makes sense. I guess that if you wanted to commute between Tulsa and OKC you could use a low traffic volume state highway.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not at all. Had it happen many many times.

Often motorcyclists get it.

Passing a cyclist really is not that complicated. If you start with 'don't be a dick' and work from there, no one is rarely in danger
Get what? These clowns around here get pissy if you pass them in the same lane, even at speeds only slightly faster than they are traveling.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Two friends of mine killed while cycling in the last seven years. Both times by inattentive drivers. One used her family's connections to a small town DA to get off with a $99.00 ticket. The man she killed did two combat tours in Iraq and was an active duty Captain in the US army at the time of his death. He left behind a wife and a baby girl. People who knew the woman said she should have never been allowed to drive. Her family's political connections allowed her to get her driver's license.
The second incident involved a 90 year old man. His wife had been concerned about his driving in the months leading up to the incident, saying that she was, "afraid he was going to hit something." The someone he hit and killed with his one ton Ford truck was a 53 year old woman who had just learned that she had qualified for the Boston Marathon. She was on her way to have dinner with her husband to celebrate her achievement when she was run down from behind by a 90 year old man that never saw her. He faced no charges. She left behind a husband and an adult daughter.

Now, tell me about the motorists that have been hurt by bicyclists.

I didn't say that cyclists couldn't be hurt by autos and I definetly understand the hazards of inattentive drivers.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not riding with cyclists when I know that it's not safe. Even you know that it's not safe, you experienced the hazards.

Makes sense. I guess that if you wanted to commute between Tulsa and OKC you could use a low traffic volume state highway.
Nope, there are no bike paths, so the busiest route will be the safest.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I don't know how many state roads it'd take to connect Tulsa to OKC. I'm sure there are groups that have done those rides and been fine. I certainly wouldn't ride down the turnpike (though i did see a guy riding down I-44 on the shoulder last time i was in tulsa). You keep saying 'low volume' but that isn't always safer. Time of day, day of week, etc, all contribute to safety.

Often the issue is one of infrastructure, where speeds and design are not thought of together. Or where it's thought of as 'reasonable' to make someone go potentially miles out of their way to avoid a certain stretch of road.

Latest posts

Top Bottom