Biden on gun bill: ‘I think we’re there’

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soonersfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Vice President Joe Biden told a former congressional aide Tuesday during a visit to the Capitol building that the Senate was just two votes short of reaching the 60-vote threshold needed to pass a gun reform bill through the chamber.

After a speech honoring Gabriel Zimmerman, who was killed in the 2011 mass shooting in Tucson, Ariz., that severely injured his boss, former Arizona Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, Biden told former Giffords aide Pam Simon that the bill would pass and that two votes were needed.
"We will win," Biden told Simon, who survived a gunshot wound in the shooting.

When asked about his comments, Biden told reporters that the vote count on the gun bill was "fluid."

"We are working to get to 60, and it's fluid," Biden said. "I think we're there, but it's not unusual as you all know for people to make up their minds at the last minute."

According to a Democratic Senate aide, the chamber could hold a vote on amendments to the bill as soon as this week. After meeting with Senate Democrats in closed-door meetings Tuesday, House Majority Leader Harry Reid said there was "significant momentum" on getting the votes needed, but that they still did not have enough to pass.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/vp-joe-biden-gun-bill-think-205901725--politics.html

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Really? This is just one of several stories I've heard today that say it's dying a slow painful death.

The key part:

The Senate bill advanced last week on a 68-31 vote. But Democratic leaders will likely have to round up a minimum of 60 votes at least once more, and many of the 16 Republicans who joined Democrats last week are backing away.
The latest is Sen. Richard Burr, R-N.C., who said Tuesday he opposes a vital amendment on background checks.
"I supported having a debate on the issue of violent crime, but as I made clear from the outset, I will oppose any legislation that chips away at our Constitutional rights," Burr said.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...again-uphill-60-vote-challenge/#ixzz2Qgmduhsv

Scary to think that that man is one heartbeat away from calling the shots...

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Scary to think that that man is one heartbeat away from calling the shots...

Huh? Can you imagine the sheer comedic value alone of having Biden? Let alone having his bumbling, fumbling, ineffective leadership on the progressive agenda would be refreshing.

Everyone always wants Washington to "get something done". I for one, hope they get absolutely nothing done because they screw everything they touch up beyond recognition.

Latest posts

Top Bottom