1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

Bifocal on top shooting glasses.

Discussion in 'Shooting Chat' started by Hangfire, Aug 16, 2020.

1. Hangfire

Hangfire Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Most know I recently went through double eye cataract surgery and this past Thursday afternoon I finally received my two new pair glasses......both are progressive / no line bifocals, one pair is clear and the other is polarized sunglasses and I can see great with them.

But.

Where before the surgery and wearing my old pre-op glasses I could see my sights just fine but the target was a tad fuzzy now it's the other way around.......I can only see my sights clear if I tilt my head way back to where I'm looking through the bifocal which is unnatural, if you think about it when shooting a handgun most folks bring their gun up and slightly cant their heads downward to align the sights.

I went back to the optician Friday and explained what was going on and he suggested that since my distance vision is fine without glasses (only a slight correction needed for distance in my new glasses) maybe spending another $200.00 - $300.00 to make a pair of shooting glasses with the bifocal on top and clear / no prescription on the bottom might be a option for me.

I got to looking around on this thing and found that my predicament is not all that uncommon among bifocal wearing shooters and having the bifocal on top normally solves the problem and that there are outfits that make shooting glasses for this and for considerably less than 2-$300.00.

https://www.amazon.com/SSP-Eyewear-Interchangeable-AST-KIT/dp/B06XB2JGSN

https://sspeyewear.com/products/top-focal-assorted-interchangeable-kits

Know anyone wearing top focal shooting glasses ?......thoughts ?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
  2. dlbleak

dlbleak Moderator Staff Member

Moderator Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Thank you @Hangfire. My prescription is laying on the counter but I have yet to go glasses shopping. I told my doc that I did a little shooting and he mentioned something similar. I’m going to try the prescription because I have some corrections at all distances.

3. dlbleak

dlbleak Moderator Staff Member

Moderator Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    That second video makes me want to give those a try for 40 bucks. Lots of features for not much money.
    The last few years I’ve just been lining up the three blurs at the military matches

4. oksportsman

oksportsman Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I highly recommend the SSP. Helps my old eyes focus on the gun sights! Bought mine on Amazon for just over $20. Clear, yellow and sunglass lenses.

5. xseler

xseler These are not the firearms you're looking for.

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Being a life-long retail worker, I've thought about putting the bi-focals on the top. Always looking in the overheads, you really have to crank your head back to see the product #'s. Talk about a real pain in the neck after a long day....

6. emapples

emapples Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    It really wouldn’t be that hard to make might be a patent opportunity. The issue is the glasses style would be limited, you’d be limited to symmetrical shapes ovals, squares, rounds, where the hing attach in the middles of the frame. Just make a hinge that can rotate 180de and make sure the nose pads attach to the bridge and it make it swivel 180 also. Probably be cheaper to buy another pair of cheap glasses.

7. jstaylor62

jstaylor62 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    In my shooting glasses, I have my dominante eye set to 32" focus distance. That allows me to see my front sight clearly. My non-dominate eye is set to distance focus. Trying to shoot with bifocals makes you move your head too much.

8. foghorn918

foghorn918 Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I have to have a red dot to shoot with my bifocals, but with single prescription on lenses I have my focal distance set at arms reach is the only way I can shoot iron sights with my bad eyes.

9. rswink

rswink Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    After cataract surgery U can see anything I cannot touch. I wear half round glasses that my wife calls Santa glasses. For shooting I see a fuzzy red dot. If it is a scope then I adjust diopter to see cross hairs and parallax at whatever setting allows me to see my target. Basically, I need decent glass, high vis iron sights, and variable power red dots. JPEG_20200816_204922_5059125826770335859.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

10. Raptor62

Raptor62 Sharpshooter

Trifocals here....after struggling a while I settled on red dot on my 10/22 and ar15....works fine for me.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk