Big Cats

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went down the Joe Rogan Experience rabbit hole and googled stuff from Oklahoma wild life department and was wondering about big cats in Oklahoma.

I believe Oklahoma has mountain lions, but has anyone actually seen anything bigger than a bob cat? (Trail cam, cell phone pic, scat, paw print?)

Here’s bob cat pic I got a few weeks ago deer hunting.

Feel free to post up any cat pics y’all have! View attachment 332639
I have personally witnessed two wild cougars in Oklahoma, and one in Arkansas. A few years ago a cougar was trapped Tulsa in someones back yard. Probably 6 to 8 years ago? This story made the Tulsa World and the local news, and can be found in their archives, I would think, along with photos!, plus the people that darted it in a tree, the Okla. wildlife department I would assume, said, they thought it was wild, and not someones pet, because it was wormy, and had a lot of ticks! There should be records of this capture available to the public, don't you think?

1Mudman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Went down the Joe Rogan Experience rabbit hole and googled stuff from Oklahoma wild life department and was wondering about big cats in Oklahoma.

I believe Oklahoma has mountain lions, but has anyone actually seen anything bigger than a bob cat? (Trail cam, cell phone pic, scat, paw print?)

Here’s bob cat pic I got a few weeks ago deer hunting.

Feel free to post up any cat pics y’all have! View attachment 332639
I have called two Cougars in about 1 AM in the morning with a Varmint call (jack rabbit) mouth call. This was 20 yrs ago when I was really into Varmint hunting and Hides were still worth $50-70 a piece. The first one I was in the bottom land right on the N Canadian River and it never would come in and worked on it for 30 mins. The Cougar would stay just out of range and we really couldnt make it out very well and had trouble figuring out what the thing was. We finally left to head to another spot and it ran right across the county road 10 yrds from the pickup. Buddy and I was in disbelief. Second one was Close to Cheyenne, Ok and came right in, but I let it go as they are pretty rare and it was a honor to just see one! Wish we had phone cameras back then! One was run over by Tuttle a couple years ago. The news has shown some game cameras and feeders with Cougars on them. Always late in the middle of the night! They are like trophy bucks and stay hid until things are dark and quite! I have seen lots of paw prints over the years but have never seen on in the daylight! I spent 2 years drilling wells on the Boone Pickins Ranch between Perryton and Pampa Tx right in the heart of the Canyons and saw Elk, Antelope, White tail, Mule deer and lots of coyotes and bobcats. But I never saw a Cougar. Im sure they were there but I never left at night.

justin_h635

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I believe nobody that has seen one with the naked eye. As mentioned before, it just so rare that it will ever happen. There was a video out of fenced area of the Rocky Mountains (very little spot obviously). The biologist was doing a study on a collared cougar. He said he would never be able to find it without the collar.

With that said, it is easy to access that they are prevalent in our woods right now. I know of one next to where I hunt that has been on camera 2 or 3 times including broad daylight over the course of several weeks.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Saw a mountain lion from my stand about 5 years ago in a bottom along Little River in Seminole County. I'll never forget seeing in running along the tree line . . . and that long tail. Location was about 200 yards from a feeder where I had a black bear show up on camera in 2012.

Saw this dude from my stand back in 2018.

IMG_2082.jpg

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe nobody that has seen one with the naked eye. As mentioned before, it just so rare that it will ever happen. There was a video out of fenced area of the Rocky Mountains (very little spot obviously). The biologist was doing a study on a collared cougar. He said he would never be able to find it without the collar.
If you’re saying that you don’t believe anyone here has seen a cougar/mountain lion with their naked eye, you would be as wrong as those that believe President Trump will be re elected in 2024.
Is seeing one rare? yes. Impossible? absolutely not. Even blind hogs find acorns every once in a while.

Latest posts

Top Bottom