Bionic retina allows blind people to see again

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I find this totally amazing:

A subretinal implant inserted under the retina of three blind people has allowed them to see shapes and objects within days of the procedure, German scientists report in the journal Proceedings of the Royal Society B. One of the patients surprised researchers by identifying and locating objects on a table; he was also able to walk around a room unaided, approach specific people, tell the time from a clock face, and describe seven different shades of gray in front of him.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/206576.php

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I find this totally amazing:

A subretinal implant inserted under the retina of three blind people has allowed them to see shapes and objects within days of the procedure, German scientists report in the journal Proceedings of the Royal Society B. One of the patients surprised researchers by identifying and locating objects on a table; he was also able to walk around a room unaided, approach specific people, tell the time from a clock face, and describe seven different shades of gray in front of him.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/206576.php

I agree. The things they can do now medically are awesome.

jm838

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Absolutely incredible. I'm still waiting for pneumatic bionic limbs though. I want a hand that can crush steel to replace this soft, fleshy one I have now.

JRSherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, that gives me hope should I ever lose my eyesight. I have always said I could lose anything else and be okay, but take my eyesight away with no feasible chance of replacement, and that would be the end of me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom