Bird's Head Grip (Not Pistol Grip)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firewire

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I chickened out and I have been having Red Dirt Stock Works of MWC working on one for me. I'm liking what I see so far!!!

Before:
ebaywin.jpg

After:
MyGrip.jpg

firewire

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good to hear! I gave Red Dirt Stock Works multiple pics of the Shockwave Raptor. I just wanted a wood version. In fact, I ordered the bolt used for the Shockwave Raptor direct for this application. $3 plus $2 s/h. You can't find a 1/4 28tpi 5"-6" long anywhere local.

I'm getting anxious to see the final product installed!

saltydecimator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
not to jack, but all he talk of birds heads and shockwave brings this up agian...

http://shockwavetechnologies.com/site/?page_id=88

RG500.11a1.jpg

by my reading of law anything under 18 is "sawed off" around he-yuh, and therefore illegal?

or do we think that maybe we could go down to the crapital and ask some of our lawmakers?

good lookin work on those wood birdsheads btw, i dig wood over black anyday.

where is reddirt stocks located?

firewire

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My overall length with grip measures 30.5". In fact it's 26.25" without the grip with an 18.25" barrel. So really it's legal even before adding any grip. I think shockwave technologies issue was trying to interpret overall length not the combination of a 18+" barrel AND OAL 26+". So shockwave was challenging the system by telling people just as long as OAL was 26" you were fine. Ignoring barrel length all together. Encouraging people to cut their barrels less than 18" and use my grip to get your OAL to 26". Then he met his legal troubles I do believe (if you research it).

James (Red Dirt) works out of his house in Midwest City, and I guess or think he works shows with a trailer as well.

firewire

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What was rough cost on the stock work? Can pm me if you like. I might want one made up for ole reliable

I ordered the shorter bolt directly from Shockwave Technologies for $5 shipped (You could cut down the stock long rod I suppose though).
I ordered a spare stock off ebay (so I could always put it back together as original if I wanted)
I gave him multiple color pictures of what I was envisioning (found on google images), but I don't know if he even needed them and I fore sure don't think he needs those anymore for the next guy. He nailed it perfect IMHO.

So that being said, he charged $70 for the labor and he supplied a few misc. parts such as washers and a dowel rod (I paid him $80 ~ call it a tip if you will) and he had it done in about 3 days.

He cut it, added a dowel rod down the center (I guess for extra support), and finished it (sanding and polyurethane).

FYI, I checked with a few other stock makers (local and across the US) before deciding to use him and was quoted $75-$125 over the phone.

Latest posts

Top Bottom