Black kettle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hustle

New to the site!
Reaction score
Im heading out there the 1st of november any info on motels in reydon or cheyenne would be great, what kind of deer #'s can i expect to see and what is the average size of the bucks.

Relentless

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shot my biggest buck there, in the back of the head with a 54 cal muzzleloader. There is a lot of deer, they are just scattered around different years

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most towns in that area are small. May be a mom and pop motel. Erick, Oklahoma is on Interstate 40 and has a couple of motels. Elk City, Oklahoma has about a half dozen motels. Chamber of Commerce for some towns in that area might be a good resource for mom and pops bed and breakfast type of deal.
Cheyenne Chamber of Commerce (580) 497-3638
Roger Mills County Chamber of Commerce www.rogermills.org - (580) 497-3318
Sayre Chamber of Commerce (580) 928-3386
Erick Chamber of Commerce www.erickchamber.com - (580) 526-3505
Elk City Chamber of Commerce www.elkcitychamber.com - (580) 225-0207
Arnett Chamber of Commerce arnettchamber.com - (580) 885-7535

Black Kettle is a wide expanse of area. Some of it is just small parcels scattered amongst private land. A lot of it is hard to identify because it is leased out for grazing. There are some nice deer out there, but some of the easier access places are very popular for hunters. (deer and quail) Other harder to access areas are difficult to access because of being landlocked by private land.

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are some nice deer in and around Black Kettle, but, it does get ALOT of pressure.Bow season isn't too bad, but the primitive and modern firearms seasons can be tough.

Reaction score
I got my biggest buck ever last year on black kettle (132 4/8ths, 148 lbs after field dressing, 3.5 yr old I think). They seemed moderately to heavily pressured, judging by the heavy-trails-to-relatively-few-sightings ratio. Lots of deer there though, at least in the area I was in. This was rifle season even, and a few of the does were still pretty stupid/unaware.

Don't forget, black kettle is not one area - it's One Hundred and Thirteen different areas, and so combined it is humongous. We stayed in Sayre, but next time I'll just tent or RV camp out there - that was too long of a drive.

I thought it was cool that I'd get up on a high point, and with binocs I could see little blobs of orange (other hunters) on other high points at what looked to be at least 3 miles. Didn't bother me none.

I flushed quail there, so next time I hunt there during rifle season, I will definitely be using my Savage 24v in .30-30 / 20 ga.

Relentless

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think what 264 is trying to say the the noob is - there are no deer on Black Kettle:hypnotize:

Haha, I know what he meant, but like everyone else said, there are tons of people there, I can't remember a time where I never saw a deer, although some times they were breaking the sound barrier

Latest posts

Top Bottom