Boat questions...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerBorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No hating here. We own a runabout ourselves and love having it but we've never made payments on a boat and never will. The only reason we have one is because we were able to pay cash for it. You mentioned the costs associated with owning a boat and sadly a lot of people don't realize those costs beforehand.

Stan Upchurch

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Kayak! Low cost, fishes anywhere even in the ocean. Can have livewell and all the electronics. Carry on top of a car or truck. some of them even come with motors. Cost for the best is under $5,000.00.

Garand

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kayak! Low cost, fishes anywhere even in the ocean. Can have livewell and all the electronics. Carry on top of a car or truck. some of them even come with motors. Cost for the best is under $5,000.00.

+1

I've spent more time fishing since I picked up a kayak than I ever did in my boat.
gkasper.smugmug.com_photos_i_9qNq7h9_0_X2_i_9qNq7h9_X2.jpg

OkieGentleman

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You know I forgot about my first boat. A canoe 16ft if I remember right. Best boat I have had, had more fun in it than a barrel of monkeys. Taught my girls and wife how to fish out of a canoe. An in the early morning in a canoe by yourself is SO nice.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I started fishing the Red Man Tour Bass fishing tourney trail in 82. Went to the Ranger factory, bought a 17.8' Ranger with a 200 hp Merc, and had it painted exactly like the 82 Ford Broncho. Hit the trail for a year, and just couldn't juggle the time from work to get to the tourneys, and make enough money to stay in it.
Anyway, our family used that boat for many years, It has sat in the yard for about three years now, going to the lake once a year or so. I've graduated to a 14' Larson aluminum with a 20hp merc.
This boat was bought brand new in 1954 by my grandpa. It was bought as a family boat. 7 kids growing up with their family's shared this boat on weekends and vacations.
I'm the oldest of the 2nd generation family now, and that boat sat in the weeds in the pasture for 15 years or so. Last year, I said screw spending $100 a day on fuel to fish, and to get back to my roots of using a small motor and oars(now a trolling motor, my dad rowed me around miles of bank so I could fish) I resurected the old Larson, replacing the transom, seats, and added modern electronics, internal lights, running lights, rod holders, used motor, etc.

I've gone back to learning to fish the waters you have, and not ripping across the lake to where the grass is greener. Amazingly enough, my catch ratio has increased.

Its all about learning the water your in, and adapting your methods to fish it.

Also have a 16' lowe canoe with a square stern to accept a trolling motor that I use to get into the shallow creeks in the spring for sandbass and crappie runs.
I'd rather paddle, but the distance to travel doesn't allow that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom