Bought a Llama (Har Har Har)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefsamuel

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, so I bought a Llama 1911 for 100 bucks off from my local gunsmith. It has hardly any wear and tear on it but has problems feeding. I'm thinking it is the magazine as it seems to be having trouble get the rounds out smoothly. I took the mag apart and smoothed out the lips and oiled it real well, that seems to have improved it 100% from where it was before. Anyone have any tips to make this little gem run smoother?

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, so I bought a Llama 1911 for 100 bucks off from my local gunsmith. It has hardly any wear and tear on it but has problems feeding. I'm thinking it is the magazine as it seems to be having trouble get the rounds out smoothly. I took the mag apart and smoothed out the lips and oiled it real well, that seems to have improved it 100% from where it was before. Anyone have any tips to make this little gem run smoother?

Sadly, what you got is what you got. Llamas are bastard guns. Meaning, other 1911 parts WILL NOT interchange. If you'll look closely, all of the screws and what not are off centered ever so slightly and tolerances are just enough that any other 1911 part won't fit. Enough that you can't get grips, beavertails, hammers or even magazines to work in them.

Just love it like it is. At just a C-note, you didn't do too bad. ;)

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Haha!
Yeah, here's a tip, take it to a gunsmith!!

I don't know about buying a gun from a gunsmith that would rather sell a gun for $100 as opposed to fixing it and selling it for three times as much.
It must really be fubared.
I wish you would have donated that c note to a charity or something instead.

HackerF15E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any reasonably competent gunsmith with the Kuhnhausen 1911 shop manual and a set of calipers and files (and a tap and die) can make a Llama work. As has been mentioned, sometimes it will take a more significant effort to make other 1911 parts work on it well.

But, that's always been the problem -- they didn't work out of the box due to some poor precision and QC in the manufacturing process. It unfortunately takes someone giving the entire pistol a once-over and fixing the defects to make it work, and that usually is more time/money/effort than someone is willing to give to a 'budget' pistol. One example that I had some experience with required the frame rails to essentially be re-milled because they were not straight or in spec, and also needed one of the MSH rails moved as it was also in the wrong spot. That is usually more effort than it's worth, but the guy who acquired this one was a machinist and had access to all the tools.

It would certainly be a good gunsmithing/metalworking learning opportunity to try and make it work. The shop manuals are available online, both in downloadable pdf as well as hard copies from Brownell's, etc.

TonyT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Llama pistols never had a reputation for quality. That being said, I have a Llama semi auto in 22 LR which is a scaled down copy of a Colt 1911 and it functions flawlessly with SV ammo.

RedneckZombie

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was always told that theres no middle ground with a Llama. They either run great or they are pieces of junk. I had a friend with a Llama 9mm that was a really good pistol. But I had another friend with a Llama .380 that was junk. If you like the pistol maybe a gunsmith could tune it up for you.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Any reasonably competent gunsmith with the Kuhnhausen 1911 shop manual and a set of calipers and files (and a tap and die) can make a Llama work. As has been mentioned, sometimes it will take a more significant effort to make other 1911 parts work on it well.

But, that's always been the problem -- they didn't work out of the box due to some poor precision and QC in the manufacturing process. It unfortunately takes someone giving the entire pistol a once-over and fixing the defects to make it work, and that usually is more time/money/effort than someone is willing to give to a 'budget' pistol. One example that I had some experience with required the frame rails to essentially be re-milled because they were not straight or in spec, and also needed one of the MSH rails moved as it was also in the wrong spot. That is usually more effort than it's worth, but the guy who acquired this one was a machinist and had access to all the tools.

It would certainly be a good gunsmithing/metalworking learning opportunity to try and make it work. The shop manuals are available online, both in downloadable pdf as well as hard copies from Brownell's, etc.

So you're saying that ALL a pistolsmith would just need a Kuhn shop manual, calipers, files, tap and die............... and a mill because you're going to have to re-mill out of spec frames?? :D Sounds easy.

catPopper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got a Llama .45acp and like it. It really likes Triple K mags. I have replaced the hammer with off the shelf 1911 hammer.Not kwite as smooth 'n light as before. Stoned that sucker a smidge and viola, good as new.

Latest posts

Top Bottom