Bounty hunter can legally break into your home

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Would "stand your ground" and "castle doctrine" be a valid defense if said BH announced himself before entering? If the law gives him the right to enter, and he has given knowledge of his intent/purpose, somebody is gonna spend a lot of money in court defending "stand your ground."

SDA states the bad guy must enter your home illegally for SDA protections to apply. If the BH announces himself loud enough to be heard thru the door one could make a strong argument that an entrance by kicking in the door would be a legal entry - even if the BH did go to the wrong home.

This law sucks. Its gonna get people killed, innocent people. I often wonder how politicians can sleep at night.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Knock knock.

Hello?

Bounty Hunter, open the door sir.

Sorry, nobody here is wanted, you have the wrong house.

Sir open the door or I will kick it in.

Bang.

That is what will happen at least once. Will homeowner go to jail if no one in the home was subject to said bounty? Just because some law says bounty hunters can enter a home they believe holds a bounty subject? I think not, but hell, stranger stuff has happened.

AdvantageR1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The law will make the have first hand knowledge. While I still do not agree with them making entry at all it is more strict than the current law where they just have to believe the person is there.

New law: they saw you go in the house or see you in the house

Old law: some Joe Blow told them you were there yesterday and usually stay there everyday.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's wrong with a new law that says no one can legally break into someone's house without a court warrant?
Why isn't that a bill in the legislature?
This being a state that protects individual rights and all.....

SoonerBorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's wrong with a new law that says no one can legally break into someone's house without a court warrant?
Why isn't that a bill in the legislature?
This being a state that protects individual rights and all.....

"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!"

Sent from my meh, using my meh.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In Oklahoma, bounty hunters have always been able to enter a home forcibly, if need be, without a warrant, provided they have a reasonable belief the bad guy is there. The new law basically just defines what they can or can't do a little bit better. As with many of Oklahoman's laws the current language is vague and all but impossible to define single aspects of the law. The new law also now requires that bounty hunters be CLEET certified and go through psychological testing which should weed out the nutballs.

Foghorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It doesnt sound like it but this IS a (small) step in the right direction. Under existing statute they only have to reasonable suspicion. Now they have to have first hand eyes on beyond a readonable doubt. And they have to announce and demand surrender BEFORE forcing entry.
In my opinion if they know the dude is in the house they should have to wait for him to exit or call leo's if there is an actual warrant and not just a "bond surrender". But they at least tightened tge reigns on an unregulated industry.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

JacobDaddy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In Oklahoma, bounty hunters have always been able to enter a home forcibly, if need be, without a warrant, provided they have a reasonable belief the bad guy is there. The new law basically just defines what they can or can't do a little bit better. As with many of Oklahoman's laws the current language is vague and all but impossible to define single aspects of the law. The new law also now requires that bounty hunters be CLEET certified and go through psychological testing which should weed out the nutballs.

Have you ever taken the MMPI? Five hundred and fifty questions about have you ever dreamed of hurting an animal. When I was done with that test I wasn't sure if I was crazy, but I was pretty sure the psychologist was.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wonder how many people will try forcible entry while "saying" they are a BH?

Kinda hard to verify as someone is kicking in your door.

Unless it's 'Dog' himself, no one claiming to be a BH will make a 2nd step in my house

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you ever taken the MMPI? Five hundred and fifty questions about have you ever dreamed of hurting an animal. When I was done with that test I wasn't sure if I was crazy, but I was pretty sure the psychologist was.

Not to mention that if the person knows the test objectives they can simply lie and pass.

Latest posts

Top Bottom