Bow suggestions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks again for all the help. After reading up on the Mission Craze that seems to be just about exactly the kind of setup I am looking for to get going on. If I do choose to go looking at used bows, what do I need to look out for?

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bows don't typically wear out, strings and cables do. Which is no big deal as they should be changed out every couple thousand shots or every other year any way.
Looks for signs of abuse, nicks, cracks in limbs etc.
If the bow in pretty new condition, it probably is.
ArcheryTalk was mentioned earlier. They have an amazing classifieds section, I'd sign up and do some shopping there for sure. I typically buy a couple bows a year off there. Plus there is worlds of knowledge to be had reading that forum.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay, I got signed up on archery talk. THat was a mistake. It just seemed to make this whole Idea a whole lot harder. apparently you have to know how much spline to have in your arrows, know how to re nock them and re fletch them. you have to know how to tune the bow and something about twisting the string.

Why cant they be like a gun and you add ammo, sight it in, add a scope and rings maybe.

All that being said we are going to go and get fitted on Tuesday and ask tons of questions. That should for sure give us each a starting point.

Are bows really that hard? They sure seem like they may be a ton of work to get into the sport

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shoot mine all the time and don't know all that stuff. I can get sighted in at 30 yards and just use wal mart arrows until the fletchings wear out. It can be intimidating but just get started and go. I almost love shooting my bow more than my guns!

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is good to hear. I have been given the green light on spending the money so I guess we are going to do this! I cant wait until tuesday

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lol no bows arnt that hard
You can keep it as simple or get as technical as you want. However arrow spine is important, but also very easy to figure out/know. Most arrows have charts that show what you'll need for your setup. Most shop will fletch arrows if you need or doing it yourself is also easy. Look at an Arizona EZ fletch if you want simple.
FWIW, ArcheryTalk is full of a bunch of over technical bow gurus. A lot of them know their stuff but not everything you'll read on there will be important to know right off the bat. Your archery knowledge will grow with you as you get into it, learn it a little at a time. Archery is just like guns, think of 20 yards with a bow like 100 with a rifle. Most any decent bow and shooter will be decent at 20 with a bow, same with a gun at 100. It takes a well setup gun to shoot good at 600 yards plus a shooter who has put in the time to learn how. Same will go with a bow at 60 yards, well setup and tuned bow plus lot of practice for the shooter.i
As far as getting started, all you need is a decent bow and a decent set of arrows plus a release if you choose to shoot with one. You can start flinging arrows right away. Work on form and get a good shooting base from the beginning. Then later on if you want to get into the more technical side of it then have at it.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well we got back from checking out a few places and a few bows today.

H&H were super helpful and taught us a ton of info. We really wanted to throw money at them but didn't seem to fall in love with any of the bows.

Heartland Outdoors was a waste of time and gas. If we hadn't gone and eaten at Teds the trip would have been a total loss.

The guys at Oklahoma Archery were both knowledgeable and helpful. In the end they won our business buy having something that we really liked, letting us try several different things and adjusting a few bows up for each of us to try out, answering tons of our probably stupid questions and just being friendly.

In the end we both ended up with the Mission Craze. It seemed nicer than the Diamond Edge. I loved the Mission Ballistic but Couldn't talk myself into spending that kind of cash yet. The wife also found a Hoyt Ruckus she went back and forth on but decided the Craze was just smoother for her.

If anyone else is reading this thread and thinking about getting into archery like we were make sure you go and talk to the guys at the H&H archery counter and the guys at Oklahoma Archery. H&H archery was truly nothing like their gun counters so even if your a skeptic give them a try. AVOID Heartland at all costs.

Latest posts

Top Bottom