Bow suggestions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will and I must say again thank you for the advice and getting us both going. I really appreciate you giving me a place to start looking.

I think I will have to start looking for some more goodies for them already. We have already decided that we need string stops and the wife knows she wants a better stabalizer than the cheap truglo that came on it.

Since you have been so helpful so far I am going to keep bending your ear. Would THIS be a decent stabalizer for her? she wants some pink in the middle of her camo.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well we got back from checking out a few places and a few bows today.

H&H were super helpful and taught us a ton of info. We really wanted to throw money at them but didn't seem to fall in love with any of the bows.

Heartland Outdoors was a waste of time and gas. If we hadn't gone and eaten at Teds the trip would have been a total loss.

The guys at Oklahoma Archery were both knowledgeable and helpful. In the end they won our business buy having something that we really liked, letting us try several different things and adjusting a few bows up for each of us to try out, answering tons of our probably stupid questions and just being friendly.

In the end we both ended up with the Mission Craze. It seemed nicer than the Diamond Edge. I loved the Mission Ballistic but Couldn't talk myself into spending that kind of cash yet. The wife also found a Hoyt Ruckus she went back and forth on but decided the Craze was just smoother for her.

If anyone else is reading this thread and thinking about getting into archery like we were make sure you go and talk to the guys at the H&H archery counter and the guys at Oklahoma Archery. H&H archery was truly nothing like their gun counters so even if your a skeptic give them a try. AVOID Heartland at all costs.

Just out of curiosity what happened at Heartland? Also, I'm interested in getting started with a bow. If you don't mind me asking, how much did a start up rig cost you?

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity what happened at Heartland? Also, I'm interested in getting started with a bow. If you don't mind me asking, how much did a start up rig cost you?

At heartland my wife got a lot of help but she felt like she kept getting pushed into a bow, the guy was nice enough and truly did help her and kept adjusting bows for her to get her set up so he was good there. After she did her setup and was trying to decide between a hoyt rucus and the mission craze it became my turn. As I tried to ask questions and get a feel for things I just didn't get many answers. I am left handed and since they only had 3 kinds of left handed bows in the shop I for sure getting pushed into what was in stock. Worse yet it was like I was expected to buy one but I never got to even pull one back. The guy never even offered me a practice release or cut the zip tie off the bow so that I could pull it. the part that pissed me off was the guy asked us to excuse him for just a moment, no problem, maybe has to pee. He went into the employees only room for a good 5 min. came back out and looked around for 20 seconds, and then went back in. He was in there long enough that I convinced my wife to just leave which is never an easy task, and long enough that I could get our 2 year old packed up and out the door without him ever knowing we left. Oh and I forgot about the 4 other customers that he stopped helping us so that he could help them. Piss poor customer service all around.

As far as out the door price we were $1120. That includes 2 mission craze bows, 2 packages that include a sight-whisker biscuit-quiver-peep sight- and truglo stabalizer, 1/2 dozen junior arrows for the wife, and 1/2 dozen gold tip arrows for me, 2 realeases and we couldn't just take the cheap releases, we had to have adjustable and the wife had to have pink. Plus you can never forget .gov gets their cut in that.

To top it all off and seal the deal Oklahoma archery gave us a small cut arrow that the little girl could play with. They didn't have to do that as we were about to buy a $2 junior arrow for her to keep her happy and they could just enjoyed the extra profits. little things like that are why they got our money

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At heartland my wife got a lot of help but she felt like she kept getting pushed into a bow, the guy was nice enough and truly did help her and kept adjusting bows for her to get her set up so he was good there. After she did her setup and was trying to decide between a hoyt rucus and the mission craze it became my turn. As I tried to ask questions and get a feel for things I just didn't get many answers. I am left handed and since they only had 3 kinds of left handed bows in the shop I for sure getting pushed into what was in stock. Worse yet it was like I was expected to buy one but I never got to even pull one back. The guy never even offered me a practice release or cut the zip tie off the bow so that I could pull it. the part that pissed me off was the guy asked us to excuse him for just a moment, no problem, maybe has to pee. He went into the employees only room for a good 5 min. came back out and looked around for 20 seconds, and then went back in. He was in there long enough that I convinced my wife to just leave which is never an easy task, and long enough that I could get our 2 year old packed up and out the door without him ever knowing we left. Oh and I forgot about the 4 other customers that he stopped helping us so that he could help them. Piss poor customer service all around.

As far as out the door price we were $1120. That includes 2 mission craze bows, 2 packages that include a sight-whisker biscuit-quiver-peep sight- and truglo stabalizer, 1/2 dozen junior arrows for the wife, and 1/2 dozen gold tip arrows for me, 2 realeases and we couldn't just take the cheap releases, we had to have adjustable and the wife had to have pink. Plus you can never forget .gov gets their cut in that.

To top it all off and seal the deal Oklahoma archery gave us a small cut arrow that the little girl could play with. They didn't have to do that as we were about to buy a $2 junior arrow for her to keep her happy and they could just enjoyed the extra profits. little things like that are why they got our money

Customer service makes all the difference in the world...especially the small things like what they did with the junior arrow. I live two miles from Heartland but have only been there maybe eight times, just because I prefer shooting outdoors. I haven't personally had an issue with them but I've heard stories about them jacking up prices on Pmags during the initial crazy period. If they did that, then the customer service thing doesn't surprise me which sucks for them because the gun/archery crowd is pretty tight knit and word of mouth goes along way.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some people may think this is risky, but if you can get someone to check out a used bow and make sure it's okay, I'd suggest getting a used bow. They are so much cheaper.

I think this is a great idea. I'm a big fan of HOYT. You can find some of the newer models with all the goodies close to your price range. The biggest thing is to get sized and see what your draw length is and what lb limbs you are comfortable with. Personally, I can shoot the 70lb limbs but prefer to buy the 50-60 limbs and target shoot at 50lbs or close to it. I can shoot a lot longer and more consistently with the weight down.

Some of my friends might laugh that I have the lower weight limbs, but I'm not the one straining to pull back the bow every time and I can shoot for a lot longer than they can. Just something for you to think about.

EDIT: Guess I should read the whole thread before posting. Glad you found what you were looking for.

Latest posts

Top Bottom