Bryce Canyon National Park - 11/6/2017

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We took my sister and her husband around recently to the Grand Canyon, through Zion National Park (but not that canyon), and on Monday, we went to Bryce Canyon National Park prior to them leaving to go back to Oklahoma. Because my sister has some mobility issues, mostly being out of shape and being at high altitudes, we didn't get to see but about 5 of the 14 or 15 park overlooks, but next week our son will be out for his vacation, so we should be able to hit them all then.

First of all, these pictures were taken en route to the park itself and shows the differences of the landscape in such a fairly small area of Utah. These first pictures were taken going across Highway 12 from Highway 89, specifically through an area called Red Canyon. But, beyond Red Canyon and before Bryce itself, we got out of the red landscape.

Now, past Red Canyon and before Bryce, we saw this kind of views.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Our first stop for viewing the canyon in Bryce was at Sunset Point. After looking at this scenery for a bit, my wife stated that she was more impressed with Bryce Canyon than she was with the Grand Canyon. Personally, I'd have to say they were both on par, especially considering that as a photographer, I look at scenery differently than most people.

These photos are of the area referred to as the Amphitheater of the canyon.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bryce Canyon's altitudes range from around 6000 feet up to over 9000 feet in elevation. Thus, as we went along, it got colder, especially with the wind blowing. At Sunset Point, I was pretty much running around in a short sleeve shirt. Before we got to the next stops to see the canyon, I found a jacket to be nicely comforting.

These next two photos are from a place called Bryce Point.

The next stop was at a point called Natural Bridge, however, I would be more inclined to call it Natural Window as it really isn't a complete bridge, nor an arch. But, it was still a nice view.

Finally, we stopped at a pull-out where we could look at what is called Swamp Canyon.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now, for a few bonus pictures from back at Sunset Point. In this next picture, I found two things to be of interest. One was a single tree perched at the top of one of the formations. It is just below and left of the center of the photo.

The other thing of interest was a formation at the top that looked like a part of a castle. It is right in the center of the photo above. At this point, I got out my 28-300mm zoom lens to get in closer to the formation.

Lastly, while we found the canyon to be both beautiful and challenging, the wife had decided that our next trip up required some warmer pants, specifically something with some kind of lining. She is now looking at flannel lined jeans.

When our son arrives next week and we get to return to Bryce while he is here, we plan on taking one or two of the trails down into the canyon. While viewing the canyon from above is great, I am really looking forward to exploring deeper into the canyon and photographing some of the specific formations found there. You can see some of the trails in this photo.

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gorgeous pics. They bring back memories for me. I was stationed at Hill AFB and have been through that area many times. Thank you for sharing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom