Building a range. HELP plz

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooby13dew

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got land in bryant near henryetta and am wanting to build a good back stop to shoot into looking for a couple dump truck loads of dirt or sand and needs a little doser work. Any help would be appreciated

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good luck. I am interested in the responses as well. I am looking to have a berm built in my yard so that I can shoot. I wonder how much a truck load of dirt cost.

Weatherby

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
When I built my berm, I just drug the topsoil down to where the berm was going and piled it up with the front end loader. It settled after the rain hit, so I added more dirt. I've added dirt about four times now, it's about where I want it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
scooby13dew said:
i found a guy that will deliver dirt 15ton for $150 is that a good price?

That's a good price, but you will quickly find out that 15 tons will leave a nice pile, but not enough for a berm of any size.
For the record I'm a member of the Ponca City range, on the range committee that takes care of construction on our new range.
Yesterday, we had 45 tons of gravel delivered that was spread on bays that are 25 yds deep, and 35 yds wide. It covered about 1" deep.
Two piles were delivered, each was 10'X10' and 7' high.
I guess it all depends on how big of a berm your looking for.
Mine in the back yard is about that same size, but it's only for close range pistol and rimfire.
rifle berms are going to be much higher.

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennishoddy,
Can you share a pic of what you have in the yard? I only shoot pistol and rimfire in my yard. When you say deep do you mean length?

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How close is your nearest neighbor behind where your backstop will be?
12ga 3" mag #4 will travel 100 yds.
22 lr a mile +
big calibers 2+ miles
you better have a really big pile of dirt when the sheriff comes knockin'.
maybe 8-10 truckloads. curve the ends in to make sort of a "U"
A mountain or really big hill between you and your neighbors would be real helpfull.

kennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You are in Okmulgee. You should go and check out the range the ranger service has out by the lake. I've been there once, but I can't remember how big their berm is or isn't.

Latest posts

Top Bottom