building my first AR-15 Pistol

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neginfluence04

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As the title states looking to build my first AR-15 Pistol. Anyone want to share pictures and info on their setup would be much appreciated. Should be picking up my lower from sooner pawn by the end of the week. When I'm filling out paperwork do I just tell them I want to register it as a pistol or what?

i53.photobucket.com_albums_g71_j0ny4ng_20120922_175511_zps0f8b9345.jpg

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is no federal registration of firearms and Oklahoma doesn't have a firearm registration program. Unpapered is a phrase to justify a higher price by a private seller.

I have read some letters and rulings from the BATFE and lowers can be used as both a pistol and rifle as long as the short barrel and stock are not assembled together. Basically you can remove the rifle upper, remove the stock body and install the pistol upper and you are legal.
http://www.atf.gov/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-2011-4.pdf

neginfluence04

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
thanks for all the info guys much appreciated. On to my next question gas impingement or piston upper for a pistol AR? Also if I have an upper made to be used for impingement can it be machines to accept piston parts?

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is no federal registration of firearms and Oklahoma doesn't have a firearm registration program. Unpapered is a phrase to justify a higher price by a private seller.

I have read some letters and rulings from the BATFE and lowers can be used as both a pistol and rifle as long as the short barrel and stock are not assembled together. Basically you can remove the rifle upper, remove the stock body and install the pistol upper and you are legal.
http://www.atf.gov/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-2011-4.pdf

Easy there. It is my understanding from reading that and discussing it when it was released that an AR pistol can go back and forth, but a stripped lower that is a rifle first is always a rifle.

Latest posts

Top Bottom