building my first AR-15 Pistol

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Easy there. It is my understanding from reading that and discussing it when it was released that an AR pistol can go back and forth, but a stripped lower that is a rifle first is always a rifle.

That is my understanding as well.

If it starts life as a pistol, it can go back and forth between pistol and rifle.

If it starts life as a rifle it must remain a rifle.

I know that does not make a lot of sense, but it is a government agency you are dealing with.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Easy there. It is my understanding from reading that and discussing it when it was released that an AR pistol can go back and forth, but a stripped lower that is a rifle first is always a rifle.

A stripped lower starts its life as a stripped lower. Not a rifle or pistol. If originally sold as a rifle I agree.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, it's pretty clear on it's intentions.

Nonetheless, if a handgun or other weapon with an overall length of less than 26 inches, or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length is assembled or otherwise produced from a weapon originally assembled or produced only as a rifle, such a weapon is a “weapon made from a rifle” as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(4). Such a weapon would not be a “pistol” because the weapon was not originally designed, made, and intended to fire a projectile by one hand.

Latest posts

Top Bottom