building my first AR-15 Pistol

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Who will ever know how it originated to begin with other than the builder?
This all seems like mental masturbation that has no happy ending.

Probably no one ever will, but we are discussing the legality, not probablity. The only scenario I can think of is you buy a stripped lower from someone on the board that you think is new, but is actually a receiver from a rifle they stripped down. You make it into a pistol, get bored with it and sell it. That guy then uses it in a crime, ATF runs it and finds out it was originally a rifle. Perp says he bought it from you as a pistol and you get charged with an NFA violation. Sure it is far-fetched, but I can tell you what happened to a friend of mine going thru a nasty divorce several years and the soon to be ex-wife called ATF on him. He didn't see any way they would ever find out about him either.........but they sure did.

03on22s

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been looking into building a AR pistol also, and just trying to figure legalities. From what I understand the ATF has also given permission to run the Magpul AFG on a AR pistol correct?

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Probably no one ever will, but we are discussing the legality, not probablity. The only scenario I can think of is you buy a stripped lower from someone on the board that you think is new, but is actually a receiver from a rifle they stripped down. You make it into a pistol, get bored with it and sell it. That guy then uses it in a crime, ATF runs it and finds out it was originally a rifle. Perp says he bought it from you as a pistol and you get charged with an NFA violation. Sure it is far-fetched, but I can tell you what happened to a friend of mine going thru a nasty divorce several years and the soon to be ex-wife called ATF on him.
Tell me how that would happen. Is the serial number part of the phone call and paper work to the ATF? I dont think so?

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tell me how that would happen. Is the serial number part of the phone call and paper work to the ATF? I dont think so?

You obviously did not understand what I was saying. Let me try this again:

Noveske makes a COMPLETE RIFLE (and yes they keep that serial # on file as leaving the factory as a complete rifle) and sells it to a dealer who sells it to Joe Schmo.
Joe strips the rifle down to a bare receiver and sells it to YOU as a bare receiver.
YOU build it as a pistol.
YOU sell it to Joe Crook.
Joe Crook gets caught in a crime with it.
ATF goes back to the manufacurer (Noveske) with the serial # and they say it was a rifle when they built it. Joe Crook says it was a pistol when he bought it from YOU.

Again, you probably have a better chance of winning the Powerball, then having this happen, but we are discussing LEGALITY, not probablity.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been looking into building a AR pistol also, and just trying to figure legalities. From what I understand the ATF has also given permission to run the Magpul AFG on a AR pistol correct?

Yes, more stupid logic. A VFG on a pistol is a no-go, but an AFG is ok. Go figure.

Latest posts

Top Bottom