building my first AR-15 Pistol

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes. Once a rifle always a rifle. Curious though, with proper paperwork can a long gun become an SBR?

ATF made a ruling that amended saying that if a receiver was originally a pistol, it can be made to a rifle and then back to a pistol again. It used to not be the case, the but the ruling was made back in 2006 I believe. They ATF alerted some of the major importers of this when it was made.

With the proper paperwork and $200 tax stamp, a long gun can be made to an SBR.

OSU_Chris

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK. After 4 pages I have a headache. Let me see if I have this right.

1. A stripped lower can be made into a pistol or a rifle.
2. If said lower is made into a pistol it can, at any time be made into a rifle. Likewise, it can be made back into a pistol.
3. If said lower is made into a rifle it must stay a rifle.
4. If said lower was made into a rifle then stripped and sold, transfered as "other" it can once again be made into a pistol or a rifle.

Is that about it?

Yourshoesareuntied

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Ok now that all that is done..
AR pistol gas systems can be tricky, or unforgiving..comparied to carbine gas systems. I have one that runs great, it's very dependable but it wasn't always that way. There is such a short amount of time for the powder to burn and create enough gas pressure that your setup has to be tight. I tried the gas block with set screws that come up from the bottom and was unable to get it to cycle without short stroking I ended up getting a jp adjustable gas block..the clamping style. Also added the o ring to the extractor spring. Truth is it was a RRA complete pistol it ran great out of the box.. but I had to put a different forend on it and that required a lowpro gas block and thats where my lessons on the AR gas system started.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Number 4 is um.... well let's just say that once a stripped lower is "barreled" into a rifle, it is now considered a rifle. So, technically you can't strip it to transfer it as "other." It's should be transferred as a rifle receiver. Same if you barreled the stripped receiver into a pistol, it's forever a "pistol" that can be made a rifle and back, but when stripped back down and sold it's sold as a "pistol." If the lower remains a virgin lower and was never barreled as a rifle or pistol, then it remains as "other."

Now how you choose to actually "transfer" that is up to you, but if it's a private to private sale it doesn't really matter.

neginfluence04

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok now that all that is done..
AR pistol gas systems can be tricky, or unforgiving..comparied to carbine gas systems. I have one that runs great, it's very dependable but it wasn't always that way. There is such a short amount of time for the powder to burn and create enough gas pressure that your setup has to be tight. I tried the gas block with set screws that come up from the bottom and was unable to get it to cycle without short stroking I ended up getting a jp adjustable gas block..the clamping style. Also added the o ring to the extractor spring. Truth is it was a RRA complete pistol it ran great out of the box.. but I had to put a different forend on it and that required a lowpro gas block and thats where my lessons on the AR gas system started.

this is the setup i plan on running http://www.midwayusa.com/product/91...ar-15-standard-barrel-diameter-carbine-length

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
K so my question has been answered NOW for another is this a decent lower parts kit yes or no?

http://vtsupply.com/cmmg-lower-parts-kit-with-2-stage-trigger.html

If it's not what would you recommend in it's place BEST BANG for the buck?
For a trigger, I think this is best bang for your buck. A Geissele tunes trigger is about as good as you get without buying match grade.
http://vtsupply.com/alg-defense-quality-milspec-qms-trigger-tuned-by-geissele-ar15-p-1449.html

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the AR pistols. When I put the Mako magwell grip on the 5.56, I was told that it could not be there. I emailed Mako and they sent me a copy of the ATF letter saying it was ok.
i785.photobucket.com_albums_yy137_Biggsly_photobucket_6251_1324563954689.jpg

9mm
i785.photobucket.com_albums_yy137_Biggsly_photobucket_2863_1327015159220.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom