building my first AR-15 Pistol

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are numerous ATF letters out there. Now these letters don't necessarily mean anything legally and the ATF are not bound by the letters the ATF sends out answering questions.

1) Stripped lowers transferred as "other" become whatever you build it as the first. If you build it as a pistol, then the lower is now considered a pistol.
2) An official ruling by the ATF recently that pistol lowers can be made to rifles and back. (This does not mean you get around any SBR NFA laws. Just means I can use that lower to build a rifle. All NFA laws still apply)
3) Pistols with an overall length under 26" may not have a vertical foregrip or it becomes an AOW. If it's overall length is more than 26", then it is not considered "concealable" so VFG is ok.
4) Magpul AFG is not considered a VFG and is good to go on a pistol build.
5) Adding a stock saddle does not constitute as attaching a stock, since it supports a cheekweld and not meant to support your shoulder. It's A-OK.
6) Adding a rubber cane tip to the end of the buffer tube does not constitute as a stock and is good to go. However, there is still lots of debate regarding this.

Controversial interpretations of the law.
A regular buffer or A2 buffer can be used for a pistol build as long as it cannot readily accept a stock. Some people take this as simply wrapping paracord around the buffer tube, which is treading a fine line, imo. I know some people running modified A2 buffer tubes on their pistol builds. The A2 buffer is much longer and can comfortably still be used as a stock.

Anyways, that's the gist of it. You can go to the pistol section of AR15.com and there people have uploaded letters from the ATF that they've received giving the greenlight or reinforcing the opinions above. I plan on writing a letter to the ATF on my specific build to carry around along with a few of the letters written to other people posted on AR15.com to carry with my pistol build, in case LEO or some asshat questions the legality of my build.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You obviously did not understand what I was saying. Let me try this again:

I obviously didn't recognize your superior intellect and knowledge of all things. Please accept my deepest apology.

Oh and Joe Crook cant finger me as the seller to him because I didn't invite him to my house to sell the gun. I likely used one of my other practices and met him in a neutral place or sold it at a gun show. Joe Crook doesnt know my name because I didnt tell him or offer my business card. With the years of bong resine in Joe Crooks brain, he would be lucky to remember what I look like.
But I'm sure you thought of all that.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I obviously didn't recognize your superior intellect and knowledge of all things. Please accept my deepest apology.

Oh and Joe Crook cant finger me as the seller to him because I didn't invite him to my house to sell the gun. I likely used one of my other practices and met him in a neutral place or sold it at a gun show. Joe Crook doesnt know my name because I didnt tell him or offer my business card. With the years of bong resine in Joe Crooks brain, he would be lucky to remember what I look like.

Actually, let me apologize. I was not trying to prove any type of "superior intellect and knowledge of all things" in any way and if I came across that way it was totally un-intended. I was simply trying to offer a possible scenario and it did not seem you understood what I was saying.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are numerous ATF letters out there. Now these letters don't necessarily mean anything legally and the ATF are not bound by the letters the ATF sends out answering questions.

1) Stripped lowers transferred as "other" become whatever you build it as the first. If you build it as a pistol, then the lower is now considered a pistol.
2) An official ruling by the ATF recently that pistol lowers can be made to rifles and back. (This does not mean you get around any SBR NFA laws. Just means I can use that lower to build a rifle. All NFA laws still apply)
3) Pistols with an overall length under 26" may not have a vertical foregrip or it becomes an AOW. If it's overall length is more than 26", then it is not considered "concealable" so VFG is ok.
4) Magpul AFG is not considered a VFG and is good to go on a pistol build.
5) Adding a stock saddle does not constitute as attaching a stock, since it supports a cheekweld and not meant to support your shoulder. It's A-OK.
6) Adding a rubber cane tip to the end of the buffer tube does not constitute as a stock and is good to go. However, there is still lots of debate regarding this.

Controversial interpretations of the law.
A regular buffer or A2 buffer can be used for a pistol build as long as it cannot readily accept a stock. Some people take this as simply wrapping paracord around the buffer tube, which is treading a fine line, imo. I know some people running modified A2 buffer tubes on their pistol builds. The A2 buffer is much longer and can comfortably still be used as a stock.

Anyways, that's the gist of it. You can go to the pistol section of AR15.com and there people have uploaded letters from the ATF that they've received giving the greenlight or reinforcing the opinions above. I plan on writing a letter to the ATF on my specific build to carry around along with a few of the letters written to other people posted on AR15.com to carry with my pistol build, in case LEO or some asshat questions the legality of my build.

Excellent post.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually, let me apologize. I was not trying to prove any type of "superior intellect and knowledge of all things" in any way and if I came across that way it was totally un-intended. I was simply trying to offer a possible scenario and it did not seem you understood what I was saying.
Accepted. Sorry for my smartassery.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interestingly enough, the ATF only considers a receiver a rifle or pistol only when it's "barrelled" as such. You can build a stripped lower with a buttstock, but until it's barrelled as a rifle or pistol, it's still just a "firearm" or "other." Here is an ATF letter specifically answering this guy question about building a pistol from a stocked receiver lower that has never been "barrelled" as a rifle or pistol before.

www.ar15.com_media_mediaFiles_171209_26635.JPG

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

WTF Nancy!?

Latest posts

Top Bottom