building my first AR-15 Pistol

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never understood the fascination with AR pistols. I get gathering parts for a future SBR and remaining legal while waiting for the stamp. Otherwise I think they're are awkward and wonky to shoot. To each their own and all that stuff.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never understood the fascination with AR pistols. I get gathering parts for a future SBR and remaining legal while waiting for the stamp. Otherwise I think they're are awkward and wonky to shoot. To each their own and all that stuff.

Depending on how tall you are or your arm length and shooting style, pistol AR's can be shot like rifles fairly comfortably. Most people tend to shoot AR's like they would hunting rifles in the classic bladed stance. Shooting a pistol in a bladed stance makes it very awkward and hard to shoot shouldered since the buffer tube is so short. If you shoot in a more modern isosceles squared up stance, then shorter buttstocks are actually more preferable than the classic A2 type stock lengths. A full length carbine / pistol buffer tube is only about 1-2" shorter than a collapsible stock at the smallest setting. I'm 6 feet tall and can shoot a AR pistol shouldered fairly easily and shoot it as if it had a stock. I would prefer an extra 3", but otherwise it's pretty manageable. Also, with a tight single point sling, you can push out off your shoulder with just a cheek weld and hold it with a thumb over grip towards the nozzle and control the muzzle very well with still good split times.

The people I see that have the most problems shooting an AR pistols are usually the magwell holders who shoot in more of a bladed stance.

Yourshoesareuntied

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Last edited:

Yourshoesareuntied

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The quote above would have been long but it had to do with SBR's and AR pistols. I can easily hit steel at 100+ yards. I think the AR pistol has some attributes that are better then SBR's and*in some ways are faster to get on target... put one I your hands and see for yourself. I have no interest in adding a stock its just not necessary for me at this time. And more then anything else they are just fun and bad ass to play with.

Yourshoesareuntied

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Also I hold the buffer tube just below the bony part of my cheek, the end of the tube doesn't rest on anything so recoil just slides past my cheek. It's steady and allows fast target acquisition as I just have to turn my head insted of my entire torso "if it were shouldered like a traditional SBR". Oftentimes you will see professional operators holding the butt stock just above their shoulder to allow the same movements. A good friend of mine has two SBR's after fondling my AR pistol he said he "sorta" wishes he went this route to save money. SBR's are bad ass no doubt but pistols are cool too.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom