Butchered a pig today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We've got 2 to do once the weather is right. That and I haven't gotten the slicer yet. Because I'm tired of most cuts of pork we'll look to make a slew of sausages. That and we'll try our hand at some fancy cured stuff.
Sounds like work! I hear ya on the getting tired of basic pork cuts.. We ground a lot of this one because we find it’s versatile, we don’t tire of it quickly, and it’s fast/easy because we just grind it straight into the 1lb bags.

I’ve got a 5lb stuffer, I enjoy making brats and sausages as well. Extra work, but an excellent product. It’s fun to experiment and add things like jalapeño, minced fresh garlic, miscellaneous seasonings etc

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did you skin it or scald and scrap the hair off and keep the skin on?

Making your own bacon I take it, dry or wet brine? What kind of smoke?

Making country hams?

Hope you saved everything but the squeal, making head cheese?

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did you skin it or scald and scrap the hair off and keep the skin on?

Making your own bacon I take it, dry or wet brine? What kind of smoke?

Making country hams?

Hope you saved everything but the squeal, making head cheese?
Skinned. Not set up to scald a hog.

Wet brine bacon and hams. Usually pecan smoke.

If by country ham you mean the slow cured in a smokehouse, no I am not set up for those.

Head cheese? No haha. Sorry to disappoint, but I am not THAT hard core about using every single scrap of a hog. The head just goes to the back 40 with the guts and skin for the coyotes

Latest posts

Top Bottom