Buying 2nd hand watches?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I’ve been enjoying saving some money via eBay recently, and I keep considering buying a watch on there. Specifically, I’ve been looking at seikos.

Do I need to worry about fakes? if so, what do I need to be on the lookout for?

Anything I should keep in mind with buying these used watches in general?

I would like a tritium illuminated seiko diver, but I understand that that’s not an OE option. Suggestions for making that happen?

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, you do need to worry about fakes. First and foremost, not to speak ill of any group of people, but avoid anything being sold out of India or China (watch-wise) on eBay. There is a giant industry in both of those places for piecing watches together from mis-matched parts, rusted out crap, and anything that will fit, slapping a fake dial and a $5 polish on it and posting it for a price 30% less than everyone else. They get plenty of people with their scams. There are still some fakes in the US, but I've never had a problem from a UK or Japanese seller.

You just have to know your stuff on Seikos, especially vintage models. Feel free to send me some links if you'd like me to look them over. Other members have done that in the past and we've been able to avoid a few fakes & franken-watches by doing so.

If you find the dive watch you like, Seiko aftermarket parts is a big industry. There are tons of dial makers, both good and bad. I'd be willing to bet that someone out there would make one in the manner you're looking for. You might also locate the dial you want first, and see what models it fits, then you can narrow your watch hunting to those specific models.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, you do need to worry about fakes. First and foremost, not to speak ill of any group of people, but avoid anything being sold out of India or China (watch-wise) on eBay. There is a giant industry in both of those places for piecing watches together from mis-matched parts, rusted out crap, and anything that will fit, slapping a fake dial and a $5 polish on it and posting it for a price 30% less than everyone else. They get plenty of people with their scams. There are still some fakes in the US, but I've never had a problem from a UK or Japanese seller.

You just have to know your stuff on Seikos, especially vintage models. Feel free to send me some links if you'd like me to look them over. Other members have done that in the past and we've been able to avoid a few fakes & franken-watches by doing so.

If you find the dive watch you like, Seiko aftermarket parts is a big industry. There are tons of dial makers, both good and bad. I'd be willing to bet that someone out there would make one in the manner you're looking for. You might also locate the dial you want first, and see what models it fits, then you can narrow your watch hunting to those specific models.
Do I need to watch out for stuff from the phillipines as well?

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do I need to watch out for stuff from the phillipines as well?
I would look it over closely. I would assume that market kind of spills over into that area, but I haven’t bought anything from there before.

It’s pretty well known fact about eBay watch listings from China and India though.

Last edited:

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would look it over closely, I would assume that market kind of spills over into that area, but I haven’t bought anything from there before.

It’s pretty well-known fact about eBay watch listings from China and India though.
Yeah I won’t buy anything “name brand” from either place unless it’s something specifically made there. A a few years back India was a good source for regular Mercury thermometers.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
The best bet is to buy one from Adam that he has gone thru already. Either of those Orange dial Seikos would be good and you'd also have a watch with the team colors for the best football team in Oklahoma.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Watch out for spectime and barcatime . Both say they are out of New Jersey , New York . Both are just fronts for India,

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had a guy come in, wanting a new deer rifle. Asked about a Sako, said he really liked their watches, wanted to see their rifle.

He was shocked when I busted out laughing.

OneMoreEvan

This is bowling, there are rules. MARK IT ZERO
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've bought a few Vostok and Raketas on Ebay. Only one of them was broken (ironically, it was the one I spent the most money on). I'd just check the seller's reputation and location. Usually I put "US Only" filter on.

Latest posts

Top Bottom