Buying a new Spydie knife...but which one?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a hankerin' for a new blade and Spyderco is my favorite. :rubhands:

I've got three different models that have caught my eye, but I can't decide on which one. :scratch: Can you guys help me out?

The first one on my wish list is the Spyderco Manix 2 XL.

www.spyderco.com_pix_products_large_C95G2_L.jpg

I really like the ball bearing lock of the Manix 2 XL and I also like the blade shape. A plus is the fact that it's an American made knife and not Jap. I also appreciate all the jimping that Spyderco has put into this knife, as well as the G10 scales. This is the biggest knife of the three and with my big ol' meathooks, I really, probably should go with this one, but... :rolleyes2

Next up, the Spyderco Stretch.

www.spyderco.com_pix_products_large_C90BK_L.jpg

I really, REALLY like the blade on the Stretch. It just has a real business type of shape to it. The VG-10 is also a good all 'round blade material. Nothing real exotic but easy to take care of but still a decent performer and low maintenance. I think the Stretch has the finest curves of any other Spydie out there.

And lastly is the Spyderco Native.

www.spyderco.com_pix_products_large_C41BK_L.jpg

The Native is very easy on the eyes. I really appreciate its sleek lines along with that good ol' Made in America stamp on the blade. With a teensy, weensy 3 inch blade, the Native is the shortest of the four, but with it's deep finger choil you can really choke up on it and get some precise cutting done. I also like the way the clip mounts to the handle with it's single Chicago style of bolt over the three itsy-bitsy torx screws that strip out or work their way loose and fall out, lost forever.

So how 'bout it. Is there one I'm missing out there that is comparable to these three? I would like to stay under a C note, so don't try to suggest the Military or Para Military, I just can't afford more than a hundred bucks on a blade.

1911Sooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like the U.S. made knives. I have the Manix 2 XL and it's pretty freaking awesome. Also have the PM2 and Military. Can't go wrong with any of these. I like G10 scales a lot and I'm not sure you can get those in the stretch or native.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, you can get G10 on the Native 5 but the price damn near doubles! :ooh2:

www.spyderco.com_pix_products_large_C41G5_L.jpg

Of course, you also get an "upgrade" to the 4 way/ambi pocket clip and some added jimping at the finger choil. It also comes with an adjustable blade while the Native Lightweight is pinned.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Native 5 also has a bushing system in it instead of the typical pivot.

The Para-2 is within a few bucks of the Manix XL if you're patient and it's a better buy (especially if you uncharacteristically decide to sell it later :) ). Keep am eye on Cutlery Shoppe for them to come into stock.

Kershaw Guy has ZT 0201s for $120-ish (another good knife for folks with big hands).

Peterosegunner

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have all of the above, and by far I would go with the stretch. It feels so nice in the hand and the blade is so edc useful. I would go with the vg-10 steel unless you are really good at sharpening because I have heard and had difficulty sharpening and touching up zdp 189. Go with the stretch you will love it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom