Buying an AR-15...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would personally not buy an AR without a forward assist or dust cover. They are part of the design for a reason. I'd give a 1+ to rolling my own from FBT.

bigchuck83

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was wondering about the Ruger myself since the price seemed reasonable and i plan to purchase an AR-15 very soon, I will pass on the Ruger. Looks like i will set out tomorrow and try to find a S&W M&P sport.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree on the polymer lower option, I didn't think about that. That damn Scotch sellin' me short again. ;)

But I think a build-your-own is a better option in the longrun, personally, unless you're looking for resale value. But I don't build ARs to resell, only to fill my safe and enjoy the fun and satisfaction of building my own. :D

The setup Nikat posted from FBT is a damn good starter rifle with tons of options for customization, but is a basic, perfect first AR, IMNSHO.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Warning...

Beware of AR snobs and local gun shop fanboys unless you have more money than sense.

Why spend more on a frankengun with no warranty and usually lower resale, or a boutique rifle just for the prestige, when a $500 rifle will meet your needs.

Nothing particularly wrong with frankenguns if you can get one priced right, or an expensive big name AR if you NEED or really, really just want one, but don't fall for something you are paying too much for in this buyer's market for AR rifles.

BTW, most of the best deals are found online. That's just the way it is.

bigchuck83

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
today I chose the S&W. Could have saved a while and bought a Colt but for range fun and light use I'd rather use my money looking for optics, ammo, mags. Might build the next one.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Warning...

Beware of AR snobs and local gun shop fanboys unless you have more money than sense.

Why spend more on a frankengun with no warranty and usually lower resale, or a boutique rifle just for the prestige, when a $500 rifle will meet your needs.

Nothing particularly wrong with frankenguns if you can get one priced right, or an expensive big name AR if you NEED or really, really just want one, but don't fall for something you are paying too much for in this buyer's market for AR rifles.

BTW, most of the best deals are found online. That's just the way it is.

If only there were a shop in Oklahoma that was competitive with online dealers......

Latest posts

Top Bottom