buying food from Jesus Christ of Latterday saints

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Actually, they do quite a bit with that land, I just don't know the extent of their use. I do know they have a massive campground where they will be hosting a multi-state event this weekend to celebrate 100 years participating in BSA... I know there are multiple people that live/work up there - just not sure what all they do!

Thats new then. I met the ranch foreman about 15 years ago through a friend. They had just installed a runway, but basically it was only used for hunting, and some limited cattle grazing.

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I heard from a Mormon friend awhile back that because of some new federal food regulations that the Bishop's storehouses were going to dramatically change by selling only prepacked items, or possibly, close down all together.

The public-volunteer canneries have shut down (you used to be able to volunteer and help with dry or wet pack canning) but they are maintaining a couple of the main canneries in Utah and will be distributing products from there.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I will second the recommendation for the one in OKC on South Meridian. I have purchased some things there. It's dirt cheap and lasts many years.

I'm not Mormon but I admire their commitment to feeding people, that's very commendable in my book.

At this time the one in OKC is open on Fridays and Saturdays from 10am to 2pm. They still offer the deal where you can go in and can it yourself, but the FDA is forcing them to abandon that. In the near future all product will be precanned in one of their food places and shipped in ready to go. In the meantime you can still go in and do it yourself, or buy the big bags of whatever and take it home with you.

I've purchased the precanned from them, very pleased with it, and also canned it myself there, using their supplies from big bulk bags.

They have NOT EVER preached me to, or even mentioned religion in any shape form or fashion. They state that they just want to help people and they don't care who you are.

You can just walk in and buy what is ready on the shelf, but if you want to can it there, you need to call ahead by a couple of weeks so they can be prepared for you. They have been totally nice and decent to me, a very pleasant experience. You really ought to call first.

What they do sell is high quality. You can google up the list of what is available. They don't sell everything you'd need to stock up foodwise, but what they have is a very good stock of basic items.

And come to think of it, they will sell you mylar bags, oxygen absorbers, etc and some other stuff, dirt cheap, better prices than you will find anywhere else.

And one more thing, come to think of it, there was an article in the paper maybe a month or so ago about the Regional Food Bank was donated some beef sticks to them, from the Mormon ranch up by Pawhuska. The paper said they have a big ranch and run a lot of cattle on it, and pack their own beef. Anyway, they donated a bunch of it to the Food Bank in OKC for the kids school backpack food program.

Good luck to you,
Gene

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My understanding is it is for both. They seem to be all about self sustainability. It is a cheaper food source for some but they also push for all of their members to be ready for a just in case situation.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My understanding is it is for both. They seem to be all about self sustainability. It is a cheaper food source for some but they also push for all of their members to be ready for a just in case situation.

A guy that I used to work with(a member) said they tried to get members to keep a years worth of food stocks in reserve.

This was in the mid 70's, and at that time they owned the Jello Company. I don't know what they do now.

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A couple responses to questions posed.

First off, buying from the Home Storage Centers does not take anything away from their welfare program. That is a completely different system called the "Bishop's Storehouse" (I would imagine this is a reference to Malachi 3:10). It is ran much like any other food bank but you have to have a purchase order from your Bishop to receive assistance. That system is funded through donations from the members of the church, fast offerings, where they are asked to fast for 2 meals per month and to donate the cost of those meals to the welfare fund to be used by those who need assistance.

Members of the LDS church are advised to have a years worth of food, fuel, and when possible, money/savings. It is not necessarily for an apocalypse or anything like that, but for unforeseeable circumstances like unemployment or natural disaster. I remember as a kid in Oregon we had a ton of flooding and then a crazy cold front came in that froze all the flooding and took down all the power poles, shut all the freeways, etc... We didn't have power at our house for almost 2 weeks. Anyway, none of our neighbors had enough of anything to last them more than a couple days so we ended up having multiple families living at our house because it was warm and we had plenty of food. It took years for my parents to slowly build back up the "reserves" but they eventually got it to the level they wanted. It's definitely not something most people can do overnight!

Lastly, I know that when I volunteered at one of the canneries in Denver that the head of the cannery system was visiting from Salt Lake City and somebody asked him how they choose what they'll can. His statement was that they will always have available the essentials (flour, sugar, salt, and he included pasta, dried potatoes, and other items) but beyond that they will only can what they are able to do at a lower cost than already available products at the same or higher quality standard. In short, if it's cheap, decent quality, and readily available it is unlikely they will ever can it.

murphy j

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have had nothing but pleasant and profitable experiences with the Mormons I have met. As a whole (of course there are exceptions), I have found them to be honorable, moral and patriotic Americans.

I don't know whether it contributes to the thread or not, but by and large, this has been my experience also. My Scoutmaster was a Mormon, and I served in the Active Army with quite a few. As has been stated, there are exceptions, but they have been very few and far between.

murphy j

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Mormon church bought 40 some thousand acres in Osage county about 20 years ago. Other than putting a hunting lodge on it, they haven't done anything with it.
Always thought they might make a big cattle ranch and processing plant there.

I wouldn't be surprised if this property came from the Drummond family. I knew Jon Roy Drummond and he was a Mormon. Between him, and other members of the family, it was rumored that they owned about %70 of Osage County at that time. Keep in mind this was back in the early 80s.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if this property came from the Drummond family. I knew Jon Roy Drummond and he was a Mormon. Between him, and other members of the family, it was rumored that they owned about %70 of Osage County at that time. Keep in mind this was back in the early 80s.

Drummond- as in like the wonderful woman who 'shows' my wife how to cook awesome grubbage?

Latest posts

Top Bottom