C.G. Haenel SuHL 1915?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radarmonkey

Let's go Brandon
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was at work today and one of my co workers walked up to me and said "Hey, you know about guns right?" And to that I replied "I know a little." Apparently in Okie that translates into "sure, I'll figure out what the gun is and what it's worth". So here we go, I have no pics nor have I seen this rifle, I was handed a slip of paper with this info on it: C.G. Haenel SuHL 1915 and what I assume is a serial # that starts with 49 followed by the statements "my brother in law took it deer hunting" and "yeah, I think it's a 8mm" so I am assuming that it is an operational firearm of unknown condition. I did not ask if the brother in law actually took a deer with the rifle so I am only speculating. I've been googling my little heart out (nope it's not on gunbroker or auction arms) and so far all I can figure out is that it's a bolt action German rifle manufactured during WW1. The following link has a really beautiful rifle of similar manufacture with pics (you have to scroll at least 3/4 of the way down the screen to find it). Anyway, any info would be appreciated.

http://www.collectiblefirearms.com/RiflesMauser.html

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I was at work today and one of my co workers walked up to me and said "Hey, you know about guns right?" And to that I replied "I know a little." Apparently in Okie that translates into "sure, I'll figure out what the gun is and what it's worth". So here we go, I have no pics nor have I seen this rifle, I was handed a slip of paper with this info on it: C.G. Haenel SuHL 1915 and what I assume is a serial # that starts with 49 followed by the statements "my brother in law took it deer hunting" and "yeah, I think it's a 8mm" so I am assuming that it is an operational firearm of unknown condition. I did not ask if the brother in law actually took a deer with the rifle so I am only speculating. I've been googling my little heart out (nope it's not on gunbroker or auction arms) and so far all I can figure out is that it's a bolt action German rifle manufactured during WW1. The following link has a really beautiful rifle of similar manufacture with pics (you have to scroll at least 3/4 of the way down the screen to find it). Anyway, any info would be appreciated.

http://www.collectiblefirearms.com/RiflesMauser.html

Get some pic's of this guys gun if you can, more can be determined that way than what was written down.

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it's like the rifle in the link and anywhere near that condition, he needs to slap his bro-in-law and tell him to find a new deer rifle.

radarmonkey

Let's go Brandon
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
UPDATE WITH PICS

Ok, here we go. I think it's just an old Mauser. No, it's nothing like the rifle in the pics from the other link! I wish! It's 42.25 inches long, in fair condition, looks usable, small issues with rust, needs a GOOD cleaning. The rifling looks good to me. The stock is fairly beat up, nothing too bad though. It looks as though someone patched a gouge in the stock with wood putty and sanded it down some at one point in time. I would estimate finish at 50%. The pictures I took aren't great so I will do my best to describe the markings. On the left side of the barrel the serial # (49xx) is stamped. On the left side of the receiver there is a stamped eagle?, the serial # again (it matches), Gew 98. Top of receiver is stamped C.G. HAENEL SUHL 1915. The safety catch is stamped CZ. The bolt handle is stamped 2600 with a lower case t under it. On top of the bolt sleeve is stamped 70. The right side of the butt is stamped with a circle with the letters MP (I think it's a P) over the number 8. The bottom of the floorplate is stamped 98 and some of the screws at a couple of locations are numbered. The rear sight is also numbered 1-20 on top and bottom.

I told my buddy that it looks like an old Mauser to me and might be worth 150-200 dollars. It looks safe to use (to my un-trained eye) and told him he should clean it up and take it out and punch some holes in some paper with it. Let me know what you guys think about my diagnosis.

ai974.photobucket.com_albums_ae225_radarmonkey73_2010_03180063.jpg

ai974.photobucket.com_albums_ae225_radarmonkey73_2010_03180062.jpg

ai974.photobucket.com_albums_ae225_radarmonkey73_2010_03180060.jpg

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

radarmonkey

Let's go Brandon
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
UPDATE 5-8-10

Got a call from my buddy today and asked if I wanted to buy this rifle. I said sure (I'm a sucker, I know. I would rather have it than it be in a pawn shop) Question is, what's a fair offer? I was thinking $150. Do any of you guys know what it might be worth?

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If the rifle has matching parts (highly unlikely), it might well be worth $150. You may have difficulty finding a good G98 stock for it. The thing that's on it looks like a cut-down G98 with, perhaps, an Argentine upper foregrip.

Someone might be able to offer more help if you show pics of the marked parts - top of receiver and barrel, trigger guard and magazine floor plate, bolt, etc

Latest posts

Top Bottom