C10 Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So my FIL delivered the Ol’ C10. My FIL primed the carb and drove it off of the trailer. The pickup died before we got it into my shop. We pulled the NEW fuel filter he had put on it and it was jammed full of gunk. We couldn't even blow through it. I went and got a new fuel filter for it. The pickup would start with the carb primed, and with the manual choke pulled. The pickup would run for maybe 15 seconds then die. I put a new fuel pump on the pickup. so now it starts without priming the carb. It runs for maybe 5 seconds then dies. IF I prime the carb it will run for maybe 15 seconds before it dies. White smoke pours out of the exhaust.

I am thinking the pickup needs it carburetor rebuilt and maybe filled 1/4 way with fresh gasoline. But I am not sure.

Any ideas? It has a 350 motor. 350 Turbo transmission.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OLD gas will kill an engine.
It will seize the valves in the guides and it is just plain not good to run.
Remove the gas and possibly the tank before you end up really hurting the engine.

If this fuel is 4 years old it may be fine if it is older you are not fine and some may not have good luck with 4 year old fuel.
That is about as old of gasoline as I have ever ran and had no issues. But the tanks were air tight.

A carb that has ran and then has been sitting is definitely going to need taken apart.
If you have done Quadrajets or Edelbrock/AFB carbs you know you can take them apart without tearing any gaskets.
Needle and seat and accelerator pump fixes 90% of those.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OLD gas will kill an engine.
It will seize the valves in the guides and it is just plain not good to run.
Remove the gas and possibly the tank before you end up really hurting the engine.

If this fuel is 4 years old it may be fine if it is older you are not fine and some may not have good luck with 4 year old fuel.
That is about as old of gasoline as I have ever ran and had no issues. But the tanks were air tight.

A carb that has ran and then has been sitting is definitely going to need taken apart.
If you have done Quadrajets or Edelbrock/AFB carbs you know you can take them apart without tearing any gaskets.
Needle and seat and accelerator pump fixes 90% of those.
Thank you

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Disconnect the inlet to the fuel pump and drain the fuel, if it comes out rusty you’ll need to clean the tank.

I would run an auxiliary tank small gas can, to get it running. Sounds like the float needle may be stuck. If the pump is moving fuel but not filling the carb bowls that’s the issue.

Latest posts

Top Bottom