90 F150 problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bet money I have a Fan for that alternator in my shed---- one of my sheds.
If you want one------ FREE
I appreciate it but with the low cost of these things just driving and coordinating that and swapping the fan doesn't make it worth our while. I will save any of my old alternators for you. I bet a guy like you can use the parts from them. Takes too long for me to learn how to do that stuff right and I drive the truck daily. Will be switching over to my 96 Ford soon though.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After looking at the pictures on Amazon, all the fan blades are bent. I just adjusted the ones that didn't match. I guess I'll make a spacer and make the fan blade faces parallel to the body of the alternator. It's thin metal. Then get a new battery. Might be alright.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good lord. Parts quality is a real problem. But if even if you can find motorcraft, it's way too expensive for an old truck. I'm running on one fuel pump still. Hope I don't end up stranded.

Be sure to test your tank switch before you do the pump again. Just resistance between the positions. Keep flipping the switch and testing could it could be loose or corroded. Also make sure your hood gasket thing is not torn because water runs down into all that stuff on mine now. And my windshield leaks. Gotta do that next.
Try Rockauto.com

TerryP

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Alternators tend to sing some when under a heavy charging load like occurs when a battery is very low on charge or losing cells.
Check the alternator voltage output across the battery and make sure your in the 13.5-14.5 volt range with the engine running and also disconnect the battery terminals with the engine running and see if it continues to run. If it continues to run get your battery tested.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Alternators tend to sing some when under a heavy charging load like occurs when a battery is very low on charge or losing cells.
Check the alternator voltage output across the battery and make sure your in the 13.5-14.5 volt range with the engine running and also disconnect the battery terminals with the engine running and see if it continues to run. If it continues to run get your battery tested.
I think you're right. Battery is bad. I'm at 13.6 at idle. I think it should be higher. Battery is 6 years old. I'll get a new battery in the morning. Adjust those fan fins and it might be all good.

Diagnostics are everything except when you know something should be replaced. Might as well replace and then see

Latest posts

Top Bottom