1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

Can a convicted former felon own/possess a muzzleloader?

Discussion in 'Law & Order' started by Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow, Jul 23, 2009.

Can a felon own a muzzleloader?

Poll closed Dec 20, 2009.
  1. Yes, it's settled law in Oklahoma; they can, including smokeless MLs requiring NICS

7 vote(s)
    7.5%
  2. Yes, settled law, but not ones requiring NICS (smokeless)

7 vote(s)
    7.5%
  3. Unclear/ gray area / needs to be clarified by the AG or legislature

8 vote(s)
    8.6%
  4. No they cannot

37 vote(s)
    39.8%
  5. I have no idea.

34 vote(s)
    36.6%
  1. Zombie

Zombie Sharpshooter

do you realize not all felons or people with any form of a criminal background are bad guys? You do realize that technically a felon can join the military and be issued an m16?

2. ssgrock3

ssgrock3 Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    since when can a felon join the military?

3. RETOKSQUID

RETOKSQUID Sharpshooter

Depends on the crime, you would be surprized what you can get a recruiting waiver for.

4. Paulinok

Paulinok Marksman

By federal law a muzzleloader is not a "firearm" unless it has a modern ignition, example would be shotgun primer. I worked at Bill's Sporting Goods for several years and we sold muzzleloaders to anyone over 18. One exception was the thompson because it had a modern reciever that was a rifle or shotgun depending on what barrrel you put on it. Has the law changed in the last 10 yrs? I don't know

5. 1shott

1shott Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%

WRONG on the ignition part, you can mail order muzzle loaders and have them shipped to your door with a 209 primer ignition system, no FFL not a firearm...

Correct on the Encore, it is the receiver which is a firearm since you can change from shotgun to rifle to black powder to rifle etc.

6. Zombie

Zombie Sharpshooter

as far as felons in military you can join for instance the infantry, you can be a cook, or a number of other things. Depending upon offense, how long ago, etc.

It can mess with and prevent security clearances, but especially in these times they have no issues letting tons of people in, helps the numbers they are after.

7. ChrisC

ChrisC Sharpshooter

tell him to take up bow hunting until he gets a pardon

8. bilboben

bilboben Sharpshooter

You are right on felons in the military. I had a friend that was given a choice at sentencing hearing of either one year at a juvenile detention center (he was 17 at the time) or enlist in the Army for a minimum of 4 years. He took the latter, that is where I met him.

9. boomerPI

boomerPI Marksman

The law used to be that a felon could own a ML or hunting shotgun for the express purpose of hunting and that any other use (going to the gun range out of season) was a violation.

It could have changed when I lived out of state from 1985-1994.

10. shooterdave

shooterdave Sharpshooter

Probation and Parole officers tell offenders leaving incarceration and going out on either Ankle Monitor or Probation that they are not allowed to touch anything except a bow or crossbow with medical restriction. I have heard them answer the enevitable "what about a muzzloader?" question several times and the answer is always " only if you want to catch a new case!"