Can Anyone Here Identify This Berry?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C_Hallbert

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Every time I see something growing wild that someone says is edible, I think of who the dumbass was that tried it. I also think of all the dead dumbasses that have gone before. Then I think about all the next dead dumbasses that the dead dumbasses didn't tell anyone that that shnit is poison. Amazing the human race has even survived. The ones that did either didn't partake like me or sat back and waited.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not gonna eat it. I tried to get my wife to try it... Let's just say she said "No" and leave it at that.

I think Peppervine is what they are, best I can tell. But I'm still not 100% certain. I did read that peppervine isn't toxic but it has a coating that can be irritating to the throat or stomach if consumed.

Though delicious, most people get a weird tickle in the back of their throat after eating one or more berries. This tickle is actually due to tiny needles of calcium oxalate which are defensive measure of the Peppervine. Excessive consumption of calcium oxalate will result in chemical burns in your throat.

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like a huckleberry, but who knows? I’d send the pic to OSU coop extension. I’ve had them identify plants for me before. All they needed was the pic.

Latest posts

Top Bottom