Can somebody explain to me how the USSA "Training Group" works?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tulsamal

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a 49 year old Army vet. I've been shooting all my life but almost no competition experience. I own my own 90 acre range in the Big Cabin/Vinita area of NE OK. I can shoot whatever or whenever I want on my property. But like anybody, I enjoy a little social interaction now and then. And I don't kid myself about my abilities. I'm a very experienced gun person but I've never been to any class outside of the military or my CCW one. Oh, and I did the NRA Certified Instructor thing back when I was Active Duty.

So I don't really see myself joining one of the clubs. Not some kind of full membership where the expectation is that I need a place to shoot or practice. But I've been unable to talk myself into paying $395-$795 for some type of class just to try it out for the experience. Now I see USSA has this Training Group thing and it seems like it would be perfect for me. If I could understand how it actually works and costs?! I've read over their website several times but I still don't get it.

As far as what I like to shoot, I'm a fairly typical ex-Army middle aged guy. I'm interested in IDPA. I've actually done that on two weekends at Red Castle. But that is just too far away from my house. USSA is probably half as far. I love AR's and AK's and FAL's, etc, so I dream of 3 gun someday. So as far as classes, I would like to take something more than a basic "this is a gun" handgun class and move up from there.

Is somebody thinks the Training Group thing is a bad idea or not worth the money, I would appreciate you speaking up as well. Alternatives are welcome. It would be nice to do some of this fun stuff before I totally can't see the iron sights anymore. The front sight is already a lot more blurry than it used to be.

Thanks,

Gregg

tulsamal

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
John,

I'm sure you mean well but there is sort of a conflict of interest in you explaining it to me. If I wanted to hear some owner reviews of the Mazda CX-9, I wouldn't call the Mazda dealer and have them tell me about it. Once I know whether people (outside of the instructors) consider it a good deal or not, then I may well be ready to talk to you. But at this point I would prefer to have some consumers of the product post. If it's a really good deal, then there should be dozens of consumers right here ready to give me a testimonial and a general explanation of how it works.

Otherwise I sign up for it and THEN I have people tell me, "If you had asked me, I would have advised you not to sign up for that!"

Gregg

john.beck49

Marksman
Reaction score
John,

I'm sure you mean well but there is sort of a conflict of interest in you explaining it to me. If I wanted to hear some owner reviews of the Mazda CX-9, I wouldn't call the Mazda dealer and have them tell me about it. Once I know whether people (outside of the instructors) consider it a good deal or not, then I may well be ready to talk to you. But at this point I would prefer to have some consumers of the product post. If it's a really good deal, then there should be dozens of consumers right here ready to give me a testimonial and a general explanation of how it works.

Otherwise I sign up for it and THEN I have people tell me, "If you had asked me, I would have advised you not to sign up for that!"

Gregg

Maybe someone could explain "people skills" for you as well. Training groups are what they are. Maybe if you would give John or Steve a call they would gladly let you join a class for the day and see for yourself what they are about. Then again, if you researched the history and accreditation of the USSA instructors you probably wouldn't be asking if they are worth it.

peanut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Maybe someone could explain "people skills" for you as well. Training groups are what they are. Maybe if you would give John or Steve a call they would gladly let you join a class for the day and see for yourself what they are about. Then again, if you researched the history and accreditation of the USSA instructors you probably wouldn't be asking if they are worth it.

I'm sure he is just looking for a simple explanation of how things are set up out there and how the training group is run.
The smart comments are not necessary.
There are some GREAT instructors out there.

I believe they give a free tour of the facility and explain the different cost options.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe you really are from Fantasyland....what youve just ..smartaxxed remarked in, is what you seem to be lacking.
The op explained What he was looking for.. and for what reasons
.Oh and Welcome to OSA...

john.beck49

Marksman
Reaction score
Maybe you really are from Fantasyland....what youve just ..smartaxxed remarked in, is what you seem to be lacking.
The op explained What he was looking for.. and for what reasons
.Oh and Welcome to OSA...

If I could understand how it actually works and costs?! I've read over their website several times but I still don't get it.

give me a call later and I will talk to you about it. I am the back up instructor Steve Aryan is the primary. I can answer any questions you have.

Sorry if I ruffled any feathers. I didn't see where the OP stated he wanted an opinion from someone other than an associate of USSA. I thought John was trying to do exactly what the OP was asking someone to do. Maybe I am just too old to understand forum talk. I assumed when someone asked for an opinion or advice and someone with that knowledge offered it, that it would be appreciated. I guess I need to crawl back under my rock until I can better understand forum language.. :scratch:

tulsamal

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey, at least part of all that was my fault! I tend to turn into a crotchety old man on the internet. I'll yell, "You kids get off my yard" any minute now!

I really am kind of confused on how it works as far as how much it will cost me per month/year and how much training I will be able to take. So for that, I'm sure talking to John will be my best option.

But I also wondered if anybody here has actually signed up and is using the service. Do you feel like you are getting your money's worth, etc? I was just a little reluctant to go straight to talking to a salesman before I heard from some users. I know, John isn't exactly a salesman but he gets paid if people sign up and come in for classes. If I was in his position, I would be all positives about the program. That's just the nature of the beast.

Again, I'm sorry for causing discord in the community. I'm just trying to decide what is the best bang for the buck if I want to take one or two classes a year.

Thanks,

Gregg

john.beck49

Marksman
Reaction score
Hey, at least part of all that was my fault! I tend to turn into a crotchety old man on the internet. I'll yell, "You kids get off my yard" any minute now!

I really am kind of confused on how it works as far as how much it will cost me per month/year and how much training I will be able to take. So for that, I'm sure talking to John will be my best option.

But I also wondered if anybody here has actually signed up and is using the service. Do you feel like you are getting your money's worth, etc? I was just a little reluctant to go straight to talking to a salesman before I heard from some users. I know, John isn't exactly a salesman but he gets paid if people sign up and come in for classes. If I was in his position, I would be all positives about the program. That's just the nature of the beast.

Again, I'm sorry for causing discord in the community. I'm just trying to decide what is the best bang for the buck if I want to take one or two classes a year.

Thanks,

Gregg

I will tell you what I have experienced. I called and talked with Steve earlier this year. He offered to let me join a class for the day and shoot the range for free. I went to a handgun course that had 3 other people in it, the training was first class and the range was even better. I as well have access to some land but the diversity of ranges at USSA has convinced me I was looking for more than my buddy's land had to offer. I really can't tell you what the best choice for taking one or two classes a year would be. I signed the family up for trigger time (unlimited range time with full access) and adding training groups would have only added 20 bucks a month. I decided I wouldn't really take advantage of all the training so I decided not to add that option.

One thing you need to decide is what your time is worth. The training group classes are shorter in length (1.5 hours) compared to 4 to 8 hours. If you prefer a smaller and shorter class, the training group may be your best option. If your time is valuable and you just want to attend once or twice a year, buying the full course may be your best option. Either way for one or two classes it would probably be the same, some classes run about 400 dollars or more and unlimited runs 600 a year with a one year contract.

So, I guess it all comes down to how much time you want to spend at the range. I would say the unlimited would be the "best bang for the buck" if time wasn't an issue. Either way I hope you at least try it out. Do you happen to know Sam Yeoman up in Big Cabin?

Latest posts

Top Bottom