Can you shoot on your own property around Norman, Ok

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calixt0

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hello all, I considering moving and not really familiar with OK laws. I'm coming from California and am not sure If I need to know anything special in bringing my guns from California to Oklahoma. I know it sounds odd but I would hope to find a place where I can shoot and do load development for my guns on my own property (out to say 200 yards max). Can anyone tell me (assuming I'm not in city limits) if I can shoot on my own property in or around the Norman area. If this is a definate no no, or a even a possibility.

I appreciate any info even its its you'd have to call the sheriff's dept or definitively don't do that, type of response.

Shaun

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not going to name any names but I know a guy closely related to myself that fairly frequently drives about 10 mins down highway 9 to pop some rounds off on vacant family land. He never had the cops called on him and he often hears other people having some happy time in the vicinity (few miles) as well.

Itchyfinger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I live out by Thunderbird and I shoot on my own property probably about 3 days a week. I did get called in on once for shooting f/a, I got a visit from local LEO, but I wasn't doing anything wrong, just concerned piss-ant pussyfooted left wing anti gun scared grown assed man who thought I was a mass murderer. He probably couldn't hear his lifetime movie over my AK.

okiebryan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you aren't inside of an incorporated municipality, shooting is legal so long as you aren't doing anything reckless. We also don't require silly ass bullet buttons, and NFA weapons are A-OK with the right paperwork.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Technically, there are city ordinances against discharging firearms inside the Norman city limits (which are rather expansive--Lake Thunderbird is entirely within the city limits), but it doesn't really stop anyone from doing it in the rural areas. There's a Norman cop who lives on the same section as me who has a little shooting range set up, and it's not uncommon to hear gunfire (scatterguns, mostly, but some rifles and pistols, too) coming from various directions at various times.

It might get worse as the contractors keep planting house seeds and the citified pansies keep moving into "rural neighborhoods" out here, but for now, most people won't give you any trouble.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go a little further west to the Newcastle/Blanchard/Bridgecreek area and there is a lot of rural land there that is outside city limits. Lots of shooting going on here...

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, there's not a lot of unincorporated land in central/northern Cleveland county--back in the '60s or '70s, OKC and Norman annexed everything in sight between the Canadian and Pott County. I'm pretty sure Norman did it just to block OKC, so we wouldn't end up land-locked like Moore. If you go south of Norman there's still unincorporated land in the county, though.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went from living in the country outside any city limits where I could should what, where and how fast I wanted to living in the city (OKC) where I'm not even allowed to shoot a bb gun or shoot a bow. Let me tell you...wherever you choose to buy make sure it's not only outside any city limits but far enough out it's not in danger of being incorporated. My BIL gave me some great advice once and that was "when you buy property buy as much acreage as you can afford and try, if at all possible, to buy acreage that buts up to federally protected land or other type of wildlife management property". There are a lot of people who've bought property outside the city but found themselves surrounded after 10 or 15 years...that's what you want to avoid if possible.

I've seen beautiful 20, 50, 100+ acre homes in the Moore area surrounded by new housing additions and commercial properties. That has to be heartbreaking for the families who have passed those properties down.

Peace_Maker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just looked up the Norman and OKC city limits on a map and I'd pretty much have to be east of Harrah road to not have any worries. That commute kinda sucks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom