Canton Lake may have a fish kill

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Several ponds are still dry where I hunt, and we've received almost 8" in the last 30 days, only between 9"-12" average per year for the last three years. Got a lot of making up to do still. On an normal year, Tulsa's rainfall is more than double what we get anyway.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I looked at the mesonet today. The area has got 7" of rain in the last month, but no sustained rainfall more than 1/2" at a time and none of it runoff.

I've got to change fuel filters in the tractor tomorrow, and bleed the fuel system to get the water out. I'll drive by, and see what it looks like.

Got a gang on a disk to rebuild as well. Lots of night work coming up.

Went south of Tonkawa today to help a buddy put up camera's and get feeders started. Either side of I35, all ponds are totally dry and grown up in weeds.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hope I didn't disinter someone's grandpa when I dug up this thread, but it seems an apropos place for this. ;) According to the tease they just ran in the morning show, Fox25 in OKC is supposed to run a story on the flood control project at Canton Lake tonight (Fri, 4/25). It's a "waste watch" story (they used lots of vague terminology, saying something about a "$100M hole in the ground" and how "it might not even be possible in Oklahoma"), but I figured it might be of interest to some of y'all.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hope I didn't disinter someone's grandpa when I dug up this thread, but it seems an apropos place for this. ;) According to the tease they just ran in the morning show, Fox25 in OKC is supposed to run a story on the flood control project at Canton Lake tonight (Fri, 4/25). It's a "waste watch" story (they used lots of vague terminology, saying something about a "$100M hole in the ground" and how "it might not even be possible in Oklahoma"), but I figured it might be of interest to some of y'all.

Thanks for the head's up ...

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's the teaser:

CANTON -
We’ve all heard of preparing for a rainy day, but one federally-funded project is taking that concept to the extreme. It is a massive construction project happening at Canton Lake that has already cost you $100 million and will likely cost nearly that much to finish.

Construction on the auxiliary spillway at Canton Lake started a decade ago. It is designed to divert water in the case of a flood, but these days the people who live and work in Canton say a flood is what is needed.

“Never seen it this far, this low, this long,” remarked Alan Cox inside his Overlook Café next to the Canton Dam. The lake’s low levels have meant lost business at the Overlook as well as many other businesses nearby.

“I grew up on it fishing on it [Canton Lake] and I wanted, I thought you could make a change in things and make a better place for people and it's kind of went to nothing now,” Cox said.

It's not just the drought that's caused problems. Tonight on the FOX 25 Primetime News at Nine, why this project will continue, while costing tax payers more money to get it done.

http://www.okcfox.com/story/2531366...iticized-as-misspending-by-federal-government

Latest posts

Top Bottom