Canton Lake may have a fish kill

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Olverholser was insane on Saturday. We tried to fish it and the lake's water level was up at least five feet, and the river was still gushing in. It was unfishable with what we had. I don't think we need be irresponsible, but we probably don't have to worry about draining Canton Lake.

If OKC had waited it out with a little conservation effort, they would have been fine.

But no, city folk and their HOAs need green grass year round - even if it destroys an entire drought-prone region's economy.

Y'all don't have any more of Canton Lake to drain at this point, really.

deli_llama

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey, I agree. I think OKC's actions were irresponsible, and I don't remember any rationing being passed, like in years prior. I am, as well as a many on this board, merely a citizen of a city that didn't do the best they could. Saying "y'all" implies that I and others in OKC wanted Canton Lake to be drained. That is untrue. I am sorry your Lake was drained, and I understand the loss of a valuable asset to your community, but please don't lump me in with those you feel don't care.

Last edited:

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Olverholser was insane on Saturday. We tried to fish it and the lake's water level was up at least five feet, and the river was still gushing in. It was unfishable with what we had. I don't think we need be irresponsible, but we probably don't have to worry about draining Canton Lake.

It is too late for that. Take your family up there for a weekend on a camping trip. Boating is pretty well out of the question. The kids can swim, but it is long walk from the parking area to the water. Wear old shoes as they will be ruined in the mud.

deli_llama

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
[/B]

It is too late for that. Take your family up there for a weekend on a camping trip. Boating is pretty well out of the question. The kids can swim, but it is long walk from the parking area to the water. Wear old shoes as they will be ruined in the mud.

Well, like I said, I am sorry to hear that. I didn't know it was that low. I didn't mean to throw salt in a wound, and my meaning was we should not have to drain any more. I remember going through worse droughts without draining surrounding lakes.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, like I said, I am sorry to hear that. I didn't know it was that low. I didn't mean to throw salt in a wound, and my meaning was we should not have to drain any more. I remember going through worse droughts without draining surrounding lakes.
Unfortunately many in the metro area isn't aware of how drastic the situation at Canton is. Any lake in Oklahoma that has Walleye or Saugeye, benefited directly from fish from Canton Lake. Every year, the ODWC nets Walleye from Canton during the spawn to gather eggs and milt. Then they hatch the eggs and raise the fish in the hatchery to be stocked in all of Oklahoma lakes.

The Walleye Rodeo is a big income producer for the small town of Canton and Longdale Oklahoma. The fishing tournament routinely drew in over a 1000 participants. This year the total was just over 300. The lake and campgrounds drew in many people all summer for recreation. These boaters and campers are the lifeblood of several mom and pop gas stations, diners and boat/rv storage owners. Many are selling there boats in northwest Oklahoma because it isn't feasible for them to drive across the state for a day trip to the lake.

The people of the area aren't blaming the citizens of the metro nearly as much as the few individuals that make the big decisions. It would have been beneficial of the individuals in charge wouldn't have waited till too late and then had to make drastic steps to prevent a loss of recreation revenue in the metro. Because in reality, the drinking water (if conservation would have been used; IE: water rationing, not routinely draining the canal and then refilling) wasn't in a dire situation, it was the recreational value to the City of Oklahoma City pocket book.

deli_llama

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yeah, I agree. It is pretty messed up and irrational to affect others so drasticly for recreational water usage. it is exactly the short sighted planning most of us try to fight in congress and society. i apologize on behalf of my locale.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All of the gates at Overholser except one are now closed. There is speculation that parts of the Oklahoma River may have to be drained to try and locate the drowning victims IF they have not already gone over the last dam. I spent most of the afternoon assisting the OKC fire Dept in allowing access to my 1/4 mile of Deep Fork River. One woman is still unaccounted for along Deep Fork. One child was found today. Overholser has release enough water now to equal what OKC took from Canton this Spring.

Latest posts

Top Bottom