Carlos Hathcock Not the top sniper!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It was the way he got his kills, he stalked and hunted down his targets. He also help write and start the Sniper Program. What ever is a Sniper's confirmed kills, the rule of thumb is you can double the unconfirmed. So Hathcock had about 300 kills.

the military doesn't keep a confirmed kill tally so when you hear lines like the pentagons confirmed kill number for snipers is really just some blowhard trying to sell something, trust me shooters keep a total in their personal records but its not official by any means. this newer and younger crowd of shooters who run their mouths and brag to the world about what they have done really makes me sick and mad at the same time because taking another persons life is not a game even if that person needs to be killed. like the thread we had a while back about the guy who killed osama, someone in that thread said "whatever happened to quite professionals".

whiskeysnoot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would have to also say quality vs. quantity. Or difficulty vs. ease. If I remember Carlos's book correctly, a kill was not "confirmed" until material or proof was obtained from the body. After your shot, that's when the real work begins. Imagine making your 600 yd. shot then going down to collect your evidence.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
the military doesn't keep a confirmed kill tally so when you hear lines like the pentagons confirmed kill number for snipers is really just some blowhard trying to sell something, trust me shooters keep a total in their personal records but its not official by any means. this newer and younger crowd of shooters who run their mouths and brag to the world about what they have done really makes me sick and mad at the same time because taking another persons life is not a game even if that person needs to be killed. like the thread we had a while back about the guy who killed osama, someone in that thread said "whatever happened to quite professionals".

Mostly agree with you, except for the "newer and younger generation crowd of shooters" bit. The wartime phenomenon of celebrating and promoting successful warriors is not exclusive to the newer crowd...Alvin York, Audie Murphy, the subject of this very thread, and many others who have long since faded from our collective memory all profited from their service and accomplishments, right or wrong.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mostly agree with you, except for the "newer and younger generation crowd of shooters" bit. The wartime phenomenon of celebrating and promoting successful warriors is not exclusive to the newer crowd...Alvin York, Audie Murphy, the subject of this very thread, and many others who have long since faded from our collective memory all profited from their service and accomplishments, right or wrong.
Don't forget Greg Boyington, Joe Foss, Black Jack Pershing, and George Custer, not to mention pretty much every major head of state prior to the 20th century, from American Presidents all the way back to Alexander the Great. Heck, we only know William the Conqueror by that name because he won the Battle of Hastings (himself being known as William the Bastard previously). Was a time when such adventuring was the only way for a young man of a certain station in life to make a name for himself...

Latest posts

Top Bottom