Carlos Hathcock Not the top sniper!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharkbait

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Alright guy's and gal's, a few facts. This was sent to me, an I figured it should be seen by everyone. I'm not trying to badmouth Carlos' abilities. The man is one of the greats!!!!

I didn't take it that way and I appreciate the info, I was not aware of any of these guys and am going to have to do some reading.

Adelbert Waldron III Vietnam U.S. Army 109
Charles B. Mawhinney Vietnam U.S.M.C 103
Eric R. England Vietnam U.S.M.C 98
Carlos Hathcock Vietnam U.S.M.C 93
Ronnie Shinya Marshall Vietnam U.S. Army 77

sharkbait

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That about sums it up.Rob Furlong had FAR superior equipment compared to Hathcock's. Not trying to minimize Furlong's amazing shot though. Steve

I saw a show on the Mil channel last week where one of the McMillan's and Mark Spicer acting as spotter tried to reproduce Rob Furlong's record shot at their AZ training facility and could not make the shot and those are 2 very seasoned long range shooters.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That scoped .50 in the photo above is a Hathcock design. About every compound had some sort of .50 already set up. Hathcock would arrive, snap a scope on the .50, get it sighted in, and be ready to kill folks at great distances. CB

Ride Da Fire

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Alright guy's and gal's, a few facts. This was sent to me, an I figured it should be seen by everyone. I'm not trying to badmouth Carlos' abilities. The man is one of the greats!!!!

:) I apologize if I said something wrong, I've seen the list before and there were several snipers back then has more confirmed shots than C.H. Thanks for sharing it with us and of course I have props for those heroes.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think Hathcock cared who was the 'top sniper'.

I am quite sure you are correct. He was a good soldier. I suspect he killed many times the number he is credited with, as did most all the Vietnam snipers.

A friend of mine was a chopper pilot for two tours (and seven shootdowns!). He inserted and recovered lots of snipers, including Hathcock. Says he was courteous, quiet and businesslike. CB

LtCCMPUnit42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most of those Soldiers and Marines made kills that no one will ever know about. A certain Viet-Nam Vet Sniper that I know will not tell you about his kills at all, even though he has 1 Silver Star, 2 Bronze Stars, a Purple Heart w/3 clusters, and a citation for making a confirmed kill at over 1600 yds w/a match grade M-14 and a Leopould M-8 scope.

w1945

New to the site!
Reaction score
I was in Vietnam 1966-67. Carlos had one thing going for him. He had the patients of Job. He also had the jungle to deal with which was no cake walk. The boys now have a lot better equipment than Carlos had. If you threw them all in the jungles of Vietnam I don't know which one would come out on top but I would strongly suspect that Carlos would be right up there at the top.

Latest posts

Top Bottom