Carrying a revolver

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To keep from starting a new thread, I’m going to ask here. I’m really on a revolver kick, am shooting them a lot, and carrying one exclusively. I’ve been reading about wadcutters for personal defense, and the proponents make a good argument.
Does anyone here WHO CARRIES A REVOLVER do so with wadcutters?
View attachment 247850
I prefer semi-wadcutter HP when I can find them.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To keep from starting a new thread, I’m going to ask here. I’m really on a revolver kick, am shooting them a lot, and carrying one exclusively. I’ve been reading about wadcutters for personal defense, and the proponents make a good argument.
View attachment 247850
You've saw what I carry back in this thread.

Who Still Carries a J-Frame, Glock 43, or other Low-Cap Handgun?

I would not hesitate to pop a attacker with wadcutters!

However if they are loaded up to top 38 specs they might go completely through!

And I seem to remember a full wadcutter gets unstable at a certain range (more than likely further out than 50yds)!

I dont know if you have read much on the subject of hunting with cast lead boolits, but from what I have read the big wide nose hits harder because of the surface area! And they drive deep deep deep!

Ross Seyfried had a good write up about Ultimate cast hangun Bullets (for hunting) in the October 1993 issue of guns and ammo.

Thats the only one that comes to mind this moment

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
View attachment 247850
Is that a model 65?

3 incher is a nice balance! 👍

If that puppy was mine I would probably ditch the pachmyers in favor of the S&W walnut slabs!

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Semi wadcutter hollow points is what I carry in my 38 snubbies. I have ran wadcutters and read a lot about using them. I would not want to be hit by one !!

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is that a model 65?

3 incher is a nice balance! 👍

If that puppy was mine I would probably ditch the pachmyers in favor of the S&W walnut slabs!
Yes sir, that’s a 3” 65. I bought it from a retired state trooper who bought it new in ‘83.
I’ve got nicer grips, but I like the feel of the Pachmayrs. :anyone:

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Yes. In my Airweight I do. Reload is Gold Dot Short Barrel in a speed strip.

Steel framed snubbies get the GD load.

easy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
View attachment 247850
Ooooo, that's pretty!

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Snubbies are awesome, better that than nothing.

everyone has an opinion, but from my point of view anything that you carry is better than anything you leave at home....

Personally, i think the 9mm semi-auto pocket guns like the Sig Sauer p365 are a better bet. same size as the snubbies, but more capacity and easier reload, and the choice to get a larger backup mag. all guns that size are hard to shoot, but i find the hard trigger pull of the snubby and the 5 shot capacity a limiting factor. Then again, if i had to shove a gun into a man's rib cage i'd rather have the snubby....

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a dumb question about keeping an automatic pistol loaded. Will the springs in a clip weaken over time when kept loaded all the time? I carry a revolver because of this question, but the vast majority of police carry automatic weapons? Do they have to change out clips on a regular bases, or is this not even a problem? Thanks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom