cast bullet coatings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been shooting some Hi Tek coated cowboy bullets that I bought. No problems.

There is less lead contact with your skin while loading.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've tried a few hundred Hi-Tek coated bullets. Works fine at non-magnum handgun velocity. Noticeable less "smoke" over a lubed cast bullet. Gun stays noticeable cleaner too. No buildup in the barrel that I can see.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As to the Hi-Tech coating, I've shot several thousand in 3 different calibers and probably a half dozen different guns. I would not say they are as good as a gas check, but can understand why it might appear so. I wouldn't push them past 1400 but some go past 1500 with no problems. When you get them going that fast they are just as smokey as plain lead from the open guns I've seen running them, they smoke like hell. So it seems that something is going on because at lower velocities the smoke is almost non-existent. They consistently are way more accurate than plated in my guns, less finicky with crimp, and much much cleaner than plain lead, not quite as good as plated or jacketed but dang close. I can certainly live with that for the cheaper price over jacketed as I buy 5000 to 10,000 at a time.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought some bayou bullets last year, after some local opinion that they also are excellent. I haven't loaded any to find out yet. But same dynamics, less or no leading, good cast bullet.
Mine are green which I also like for no reason.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought some bayou bullets last year, after some local opinion that they also are excellent. I haven't loaded any to find out yet. But same dynamics, less or no leading, good cast bullet.
Mine are green which I also like for no reason.

Yeah, I went a different direction. :)

i151.photobucket.com_albums_s157_Glocktogo_IMG_20150105_003852_zpse345445f.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom