Cast my first rounds today!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Picked up all the goodies to cast 45 boolits last week. and bought a little bit of lead off ebay to get me started.

Got it all set up today, read the directions and took my time and had success right out of the gate!

Now time to size, lube, load and see how they shoot! Pretty dang cool process, I must say.
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 153

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
EXCELLENT!!!
Round nose tumble lube lee. should work good.

If you scratch them with a fingernail today you will find they scratch easy.
Try it tomorrow or next week.. much harder to scratch usually.

I like to wait a week or so before i size and lube.
probably does not make a difference either way...

I looked at ebay for lead last week..not bad prices really.

What kind of lead mix are you using ?
How many did you make for this round?

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
This is a 10% mix that seemed to pour really well, of course I have nothing to compare it to so take that statement with a grain of salt. I cast a total of 120, my first 18 went back in the pot. Used 4lbs of lead, have about 1/2 lb left in the pot.

Made for a very fun project! More so than reloading, I think.

I have a lee sizer and the liquid alox goop that they sell. I dont think I have the patience for a week of waiting. I have several firearms begging for some trigger time so these will get loaded tomorrow morning. And be shot tomorrow afternoon most likely.

castleeleven

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice, good work. How much per pound is decent price? How many grain each bullet weight?
This is a 10% mix that seemed to pour really well, of course I have nothing to compare it to so take that statement with a grain of salt. I cast a total of 120, my first 18 went back in the pot. Used 4lbs of lead, have about 1/2 lb left in the pot.

Made for a very fun project! More so than reloading, I think.

I have a lee sizer and the liquid alox goop that they sell. I dont think I have the patience for a week of waiting. I have several firearms begging for some trigger time so these will get loaded tomorrow morning. And be shot tomorrow afternoon most likely.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I like the mold,seems to make great bullets, but I broke that dang sprue handle off on my third casting. Couldn't believe it! Turns out its made of sintered metal - which is a BAD choice, but cheap.

So I made a replacement from a piece of steel and I am back in business. Makes me wonder if I am going to have to make a new one for every set of molds I buy.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have 4 lee molds in 2 cavity and 2 in 6 cavity ..never broke anything yet knock on wood..

I have heard people breaking them.
I have my mold and sprue plate verrry toasty before i start making bullets.
I bet you noticed as you progressed and the mold warmed up the bullets were made without wrinkles.
AND the sprue plate cut off easier as you went.

If you go too fast you will smear lead on the top of the mold and the underside of the sprue plate.
This lead will harden and scratch the mold..
Some scratching on the top of the mold will happen over time.
I have made almost 5000 bullets with my 200gr TL lee 6 cavity 45 mold.. still working great.

You will get addicted to this casting.

For the first sizing of the bullet i just smear some hornady lube or imperial lube in my hands and handle all my bullets.
Or just a light coat on your fingers and picking up the bullets will do.

The lube with the Lee alox.
I have been using Lee alox and Johnsons paste wax 50/50 with excellent results.. and no more sticky bullets.
as the straight LLA leaves them sticky.

Latest posts

Top Bottom