CCL Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If a person has a valid CCL from another state and is living in Oklahoma, will that make any difference in getting a CCL here in Oklahoma?

An out-of-state resident license is no longer VALID once a new residency in OK is established: paying rent, utility services in your name, etc. However, the residency laws are rarely enforced except in the most extreme violation. A short drive around most apartment complexes to observe the out-of-state license plates would prove this.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Being a musician Ive moved around quite a bit over the years but the past 10 years have stayed basically in 3 different states. I currently have places to live and live part time in 2 other states while working there but spend more of my time in Oklahoma so I went ahead and got my CC permit here,changed my DL,tags,insure,etc 3 years ago. Plus Oklahomas reciprocity agreement with other states was attractive.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
An out-of-state resident license is no longer VALID once a new residency in OK is established: paying rent, utility services in your name, etc. However, the residency laws are rarely enforced except in the most extreme violation. A short drive around most apartment complexes to observe the out-of-state license plates would prove this.

Concerning Conceal handgun/weapon licenses, this is absolutely NOT true. Car license plates and driver's licenses are governed under a different law.

The only problem arises from state like KY and OK whose CHLs cease to be valid when you are no longer a resident. For states like UT, FL, WA, etc, the license remains valid, and OK continues to recognize them when you live here. It is completely legal ( and often necessary when traveling) to have CHLs from several states simultaneously. I have 3, used to have 4 until WV finally recognized OK.

RECIPROCAL AGREEMENT AUTHORITY

The State of Oklahoma hereby recognizes any valid concealed carry weapons permit or license issued by another state.
Any person entering this state in possession of a firearm authorized for concealed carry upon the authority and license of another state is authorized to continue to carry a concealed firearm and license in this state; provided the license from the other state remains valid.
http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=69809

Perrone

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Hey...I have Kansas plates..I see no point in changing them if they are not expired :D

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey...I have Kansas plates..I see no point in changing them if they are not expired :D

If you also have a Kansas CHL you might want to heed this. Kansas is one of the states the do allow non-residents to have a Kansas CHL.
· What if I have a change of address or name?
o Answer: Licensees must notify the Attorney General in writing within 30 days
of changing a permanent address. Likewise, they must advise the Attorney
General of any change to their name. Notifications made to a driver’s license
station will not suffice for notification to the Attorney General. Once notified,
the Attorney General will generate an approval notice to re-issue the license.
The licensee will have to go to an approved driver’s license station to obtain
the re-issued license. The driver’s license station will charge a fee to
generate a new license card.

http://www.ksag.org/files/Frequently_Asked_Questions_2009_Updates_7-1-09.pdf

Perrone

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

jej

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If a person has a valid CCL from another state and is living in Oklahoma, will that make any difference in getting a CCL here in Oklahoma?

If your current CCL required range qualification [one of mine did] your OK instructor can waive the shooting requirement [at least mine did - I did not research the rules myself.]. Its up to them and you if that saves you any course fees [mine did not, but I did not learn about this until I got there].

Not a big deal, really. The shooting in the OK class is is just to show safe handling. No score is kept or required to pass the course.

If your other state allows you to change to a non-res, as some do with just a change of address, OK will recognize that even if you are now an OK res.

jej

Latest posts

Top Bottom