Chasing 357 velocities

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guns are dumb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, ever since I got my chronograph problems ironed out, Ive been pushing the velocites on my 357 loads a little at a time. Not really looking for specific loads here, but do any of you load up to 1700 fps with a 125 gr hollow point? It appears that the energy differences are negligible between a full house 158 gr cartridge and a full house 125 gr cartridge due to the speed variance and I'm wanting to put together a pretty flat shooting catridge.

What powder are you using? I'm at the limits of case capacity with N110 without a compressed charge and almost at the bottom of Vihtavouri's starting load data, which is still more than both Hornady and Lyman's info. Are you guys using compressed loads?

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

357 Magnum
Cartridge Load Data
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bullet Weight (Gr.) Powder Bullet Diam. C.O.L. Grs. Vel. (ft/s) Pressure Grs. Vel. (ft/s) Pressure
125 GR. HDY XTP H110 .357" 1.590" 21.0 1881 38,400 CUP 22.0 1966 41,400 CUP

NOTE: These data are for a 10" barrel.
My experience is an 8" S&W gives good velocities with this load; short barrels not so much.

If you run the ballistics programs for 100yd +, the poor ballistic coefficient of the 125gr causes it to shed velocity rapidly, and the heavier bullets hold up better at long range.

guns are dumb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had been using the N110 primarily because that's what I chose to load 44 mag with and it could do double duty in both. I might have to give the H110 a try, Lyman shows the 21.5 gr Max charge as 1500 fps from a 4" barrel.

The reason I'm not pursuing the heavier bullets is because I have the 44 mag that I'm working up "longer range" loads for, hoping to put together a good, accurate smallish game load for the 357 inside 50-100 yards.

My 357 velocities have been agreeable with the Lyman data but not Vihtavouri's, whereas my 44mag velocities have been higher than both.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Up to the 40 yds I can actually hit small game with a iron-sighted 4" revolver, the trajectory of a max load of HP38 under a 125gr JHP does me fine--with a whole lot less blast and recoil than the H110, which seems to be burning 1/2 outside the barrel. I was loading this short barrel load before Speer made it popular.

Latest posts

Top Bottom