Reloading velocity calculator?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anybody know of a calculator you can input all your info into (cartridge, bullet selection, seat depth, powder choice, etc) and get a ballpark but fairly accurate FPS output?

The reason I ask...Jack Lott's notes show his original load was a 500gr pill over 75-85 max gr of IMR 4320...but if you look up loads for that combo they're all way under that.
Hogdon doesnt even list .458 Lott on their site so there's not even a base load from them. I read Hornady says a max of 77gr of 4320 for 500gr Lott...but they also got "low velocity" using that load.

I'm curious what the loads would do as intended by Jack Lott. My understanding is when he went to get the cartridge SAAMI approved they reduced the max pressure and thus got "reduced" loads.

I know, its goofy...but I'm still curious and not sure I want to risk my shoulder to find out :)

Jonny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Quickload is a very good program, you have to buy it though. Gordon's Reloading Tool is a free alternative. I've used GRT a little and it seems to be fairy accurate.

Only two such programs I know of that model a potential load. The Accurate Shooter forums have more in-depth discussion about both programs.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Barrel ID and groove depth and how many grooves and roughness of the inside of the barrel all play a role in pressure and velocity.
I have a Ruger .308 with 22" barrel that has velocity within a few FPS as a Savage .308 I have with an 18" barrel.
When using IMR4064 powder.
Slow barrel Ruger or fast savage.

As we also know lot variance of powder and bullet diameter or hardness along with case capacity will also change things up.

If you are searching for more velocity and or more accuracy do your own testing with the components you have at hand.
Look for pressure signs.

Many of the 30-06 loads listed are not what a modern 30-06 will max out at.
I like accurate loads and some bullets have an appetite for velocity while others are happy chugging along.

Sierra Palma 155 gr in .308 diameter really liked to be "Hot Rodded" to get into the upper accuracy node in my .308 and my 30-06.
3176 fps from my 30-06 100 degree temps and no pressure issues at that point.

I did load it to 3200 fps and got a sticky bolt lift the same 100 degree day. 22" barrel
With a strong gun you will be surprised what a 45 acp can do.

I do not think a calculator unless you have many parameters to input will tell you what your particular gun and lot number of powder will do.

I have some older (metal Can)2400 powder and some newer 2400 and I must load 2 gr more of the older stuff for 170 gr cast 30-30 loads.

Older H4350 looks NOTHING like the newer powder. Long dark grey sticks in the older stuff and short green sticks in the newer powder.

Guarantee the loads are not the same.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll add this: if you're comparing notes of older load data to newer loading manual data, there will be lots of variance, and usually the older books will run hotter loads, especially if you skip back to 1980's or earlier vs 21st century manuals...all due to the legal departments of said companies I assume

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Barrel ID and groove depth and how many grooves and roughness of the inside of the barrel all play a role in pressure and velocity.
I have a Ruger .308 with 22" barrel that has velocity within a few FPS as a Savage .308 I have with an 18" barrel.
When using IMR4064 powder.
Slow barrel Ruger or fast savage.

As we also know lot variance of powder and bullet diameter or hardness along with case capacity will also change things up.

If you are searching for more velocity and or more accuracy do your own testing with the components you have at hand.
Look for pressure signs.

Many of the 30-06 loads listed are not what a modern 30-06 will max out at.
I like accurate loads and some bullets have an appetite for velocity while others are happy chugging along.

Sierra Palma 155 gr in .308 diameter really liked to be "Hot Rodded" to get into the upper accuracy node in my .308 and my 30-06.
3176 fps from my 30-06 100 degree temps and no pressure issues at that point.

I did load it to 3200 fps and got a sticky bolt lift the same 100 degree day. 22" barrel
With a strong gun you will be surprised what a 45 acp can do.

I do not think a calculator unless you have many parameters to input will tell you what your particular gun and lot number of powder will do.

I have some older (metal Can)2400 powder and some newer 2400 and I must load 2 gr more of the older stuff for 170 gr cast 30-30 loads.

Older H4350 looks NOTHING like the newer powder. Long dark grey sticks in the older stuff and short green sticks in the newer powder.

Guarantee the loads are not the same.
I'm a huge 30-06 fan.
You correct in saying published loads for the 30-06 loads listed will not max it out.
Published max load is 2750 fps. I've pushed my loads to 3000 fps with no issues. MY RIFLE likes those 3K loads. Your rifle may not.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Quick reality check, if the load you are using will go through both sides of a Buffalo, why do you need to expend more energy into the ground!
I.E. 458 SOCOM... I have been told that it needs to go "AT LEAST" 1850 FPS to be effective on "big pigs". I have shot several in the 300-350 Pound range with a 325 grain Hornady Flex tip. I have yet to recover a bullet from a side to side hit low in the shoulder at 1600 FPS.....All have exited. I'm just not that mad at Oklahoma dirt! Now I'm not shooting them at 200 yards or nothing, usually round 25-75 yards, but I did get a full pass through at 153 yards once. Maybe I need more recoil and powder....NOT!!!!

Last edited:

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didnt say I wanted to do it, I said I wanted to see what a calculator said it would do. Theres a big difference there. This is a exercise of curiosity that as said I dont want to destroy my shoulder finding out the answer to.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Quick reality check, if the load you are using will go through both sides of a Buffalo, why do you need to expend more energy into the ground!
I.E. 458 SOCOM... I have been told that it needs to go "AT LEAST" 1850 FPS to be effective on "big pigs". I have shot several in the 300-350 range with a 325 grain Hornady Flex tip. I have yet to recover a bullet from a side to side hit low in the shoulder at 1600 FPS.....All have exited. I'm just not that mad at Oklahoma dirt! Now I'm not shooting them at 200 yards or nothing, but I did get a full pass through at 153. Maybe I need more recoil and powder....NOT!!!!
Several pigs in the 300-350 range.
🤔

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gordons Reloading Tool is pretty much doing what I want...unfortunately it doesnt have 4320 in it that I could find.

It's a very cool tool to get an idea of whats going on.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
300-350 pound range on a scale. Those were mostly in Texas. The biggest Oklahoma pig I have shot was right at 273# in the scale. Here are two from last night.....and no they are not in the 300-350 range!😆 76# and 127# respectively.
KIMG0418.JPG

Latest posts

Top Bottom