Chicken question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Being able to get commercial broilers from chicks, to the table in 5 / 7 weeks is more than just the breed! My Father was one of the first farmers in Arkansas to go into the commercial chicken business, on a large scale. I was just a kid, but I think to took something like 12 / 14 weeks to get broilers to slaughter weight. Now they do have more efficiant breeds, but they also feed them not only antibiotics, but growth stroids in the water! They time the lights to come on at night to fool the chickens, because they eat every time they think its morning, Kinda like Democrats! Dad went Arkansas Tech at Russellville, after WW2 on the GI Bill,. Dr Thompson, the head of the AG, dept. was advising him on this venture. ( he owned the chickens and bought the feed, medicine then) Dr Thompson was devoloping different breeds if chickens that were more efficiant to be used in these commercial houses. I would go with dad to his farm, and thought that was something. He had some really strange looking chickens. heavy breast, with small wings, and legs, etc. I guess the one that impressed me the most was the three legged chicken! More drumsticks! This seemed to be going well untill someone left the door open, and these three legged chickens escaped. They are so fast, no one has been able to catch one since. there are rumores of lighting fast three legged chickens crossing the roads in the Ozarks, to this day!
As with snake, I wanted a sustainable meat bird. We've grown the franken birds several times and they put poundage in the freezer but I feel a bit bad. They are some genetic mutants for sure. With that come issues you don't much enjoy as a caring person. But I feed no antibiotics or hormones so unless they implant the day old chicks it's all genetics.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is worth a shot for us small time players, no? :anyone:

I mean, I would definately try it!
Why certainly. We've got 4 Plymouth white hens and 10 HEAVY weight broiler hens. The roosters of the dark Cornish will be bred to both of these, quite likely.
Please let us know the results!
Most all of our chicken episodes are posted here.

Latest posts

Top Bottom