Choose my next 1911

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which 1911 should I get next (that has a light rail)

• Para

Votes: 18 8.4%
  • Springfield

Votes: 102 47.7%
  • Kimber

Votes: 66 30.8%
  • Doublestar

Votes: 8 3.7%
  • Taurus

Votes: 20 9.3%

• Total voters

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I work in a gun shop. We send more Taurus and Para 1911s in for repair than any other brand. Kimber QC has been down for about the last year as more problems are obvious on their pistols and more are returned for warranty work Springfield has an ocassional stinker also but they are the fastest and most efficient at correcting them.
I would suggest you look at the Springfield, Kimber, SIG, and S&W 1911s and take the one that has the most personal appeal and price you like. FWIW, the Commander length is easier to tote around as a CCW gun and the Govt Model is easier to shoot accurately. Officers Model size guns often have reliability issues and are harder to shoot well.

Lucky13

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I work in a gun shop. We send more Taurus and Para 1911s in for repair than any other brand. Kimber QC has been down for about the last year as more problems are obvious on their pistols and more are returned for warranty work Springfield has an ocassional stinker also but they are the fastest and most efficient at correcting them.
I would suggest you look at the Springfield, Kimber, SIG, and S&W 1911s and take the one that has the most personal appeal and price you like. FWIW, the Commander length is easier to tote around as a CCW gun and the Govt Model is easier to shoot accurately. Officers Model size guns often have reliability issues and are harder to shoot well.

well damn that's putting it pretty point blank........i like it.....

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree that Les Baer would be a step up. But I disagree about $1300 for a production gun. i.e. I ride a GSX-R 1000 or (for those of you that don't ride) a crotch rocket. I have 7 helmets even though I only have one head. Now some of my friends think I'm nuts for paying an average of about $500 for each when I can easily get one for $100 - $200 that does the job just as good. But I like them, if anything just the paint or the name. Like my girlfriend and purses. She'll spend $1500 on a purse just because it's name brand. Wow after reading this. It's really not that good of an example. But I figured this would give someone another view. But I'm pretty sure I screwed that up. :screwy:

You can disagree all you like. :D You're just not understanding what I'm saying. Trust me..... I've got some 1911s north of $1300 ;)

$1300 for a Kimber i.e..... production gun.... no bueno.

$1400 for a Les Baer...... semi-custom 1911.... bueno.

This comes from owning SEVERAL 1911s in the past. Basically, you're overpaying for the others at the price level.

Now spending $1500 on a purse?

Lucky13

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can disagree all you like. :D You're just not understanding what I'm saying. Trust me..... I've got some 1911s north of $1300 ;)

$1300 for a Kimber i.e..... production gun.... no bueno.

$1400 for a Les Baer...... semi-custom 1911.... bueno.

This comes from owning SEVERAL 1911s in the past. Basically, you're overpaying for the others at the price level.

Now spending $1500 on a purse?

good point but.....

we don't speak of the purse situation :hypnotize::angry3:

okieglock83

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I voted for a Springer outta the choices but I'd take a look at the S&Ws if I were you, mines much nicer and more reliable than any Springer, Kimber or Taurus I've owned!

As mentioned above I think they all start losing bang-for-buck above about $1200

$800 or less- Kimber

$900-$1300- S&W or a Springer TRP if you can find one cheap

$1400-$1800- Les Baer

$2000 and up- Wilson, Nighhawk, ect...

Latest posts

Top Bottom