Cicada-Killing Giant Wasp

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had a helluva time with wasps around the property this summer. Today, I found this huge wasp on the screen door on the back porch. It was nearly 2 inches long. I swatted it with a fly swatter and then tried to crush it with my shoe (I was wearing slippers...nothing sturdy). The damn thing felt like I was trying to crack a pecan under my foot. I finally felt it pop and watched it as it was still trying it's damnedest to sting something.

Anyway, then I find this story on FoxNews tonight:

https://www.foxweather.com/earth-sp...eather_outbrain&dicbo=v4-xuWh5Rm-1088916728-1

1723441247384.png

This is what I saw on the porch. One of these big-ass, cicada-killing wasps. I can't even imagine being stung by one of these guys. Apparently only the females have stingers...go figure.

1723441115611.jpeg

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can’t believe it’s your first run in with one! They’re everywhere around my area. You can spot their holes in the ground

They don’t build big nests/colonies like other wasps and hornets. They’re usually more solitary from what I’ve seen. Which is nice because a large group of these big bastages would be terrifying!

I’ve had one get in my truck before. Noticed it buzzing the back glass behind me as I was driving. About wrecked getting pulled over on the shoulder as fast I could to get that SOB out of the cab lol

Steelers Fan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve had one get in my truck before. Noticed it buzzing the back glass behind me as I was driving. About wrecked getting pulled over on the shoulder as fast I could to get that SOB out of the cab lol
Sounds like you were introduced to but did not fully engage with MAYHEM !!! Those commercials kill me, almost killed you!

Louro

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had a helluva time with wasps around the property this summer. Today, I found this huge wasp on the screen door on the back porch. It was nearly 2 inches long. I swatted it with a fly swatter and then tried to crush it with my shoe (I was wearing slippers...nothing sturdy). The damn thing felt like I was trying to crack a pecan under my foot. I finally felt it pop and watched it as it was still trying it's damnedest to sting something.

https://www.foxweather.com/earth-sp...eather_outbrain&dicbo=v4-xuWh5Rm-1088916728-1

View attachment 501596

This is what I saw on the porch. One of these big-ass, cicada-killing wasps. I can't even imagine being stung by one of these guys. Apparently only the females have stingers...go figure.

View attachment 501595
You can tell by the way they dress that they are right wing global warming people. Perhaps they love Wladziu Valentino?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My son got stung by one.
Way worse than any other wasp that got him.
But to be fair he was not looking and almost stepped on it.

I see them all the time and they always buzz around looking for food and within inches of me and never bothered me a bit.
I rate them up there with mud daubers as being sort of friendly.

feral

Armish farmer
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

View attachment 501596

View attachment 501595
Grew up with them...and in terror.
Grandmother thought they were hornets.
But they're not really aggressive to anything but cicadas.

Latest posts

Top Bottom