Cichlids for Danny Tanner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think for your goal a 75 gallon tank with mixture of Mbuna would be Ideal.

As for tank substrate and decoration, don't pay pet store prices. You can get nice limestone rocks from your local landscape supply company $0.10 to $0.20 per pound. I have something like 100 to 120 lbs of limestone in my 75 gallon tank...

For substrate I use 50lb bags of "play sand" from the big box home supply store. You have to rinse the holy heck out of it...but at less than $5/50lb you cant beat it.

...oh yeah, and while you're at the Home Supply store...pick up a sheet of "egg-crate" light diffuser paneling from lighting section. You will want something to put on the bottom of the tank, under the rock to prevent pressure point cracks in the glass...

Oh...and Here's some pictures of fish you can go find in your local streams, lakes and ponds. These guys are all Oklahoma Native fishes!

awww.cichlidforums.com_postimages_2008_04_06_219433_001.jpg

awww.cichlidforums.com_postimages_2008_04_06_219434_001.jpg

Orange Throat Darter:
awww.cichlidforums.com_postimages_2007_12_20_211225_008.jpg

Green Sunfish Juvenile
awww.cichlidforums.com_postimages_2009_01_27_245251_001.jpg

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went into PetSmart to look at the animals for adoption, browsed the aquariums, all high priced Top Fin crap.

Went into another PetSmart to look at their animals for adoption, walked by the aquariums, and they had this for almost $100 off (paid $269) for the aquarium, hood, lights, and stand, so we went for it.

About to head off to Ace Hardware for play sand (Home Depot if Ace is closed/doesn't have it). I'll also run by Pet Smart on my way back home for the pump, filter, airlines, etc...

I joined CFs as "Amber Lamps", but haven't posted anything yet or sent you a PM yet, but will take this topic to their forums instead of OSA.

Seedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Excellent Pick up D.T. I'll keep an eye out for you "over there"... Now we need to find you some cycled filter material somewhere around Edmond so you don't have to "cycle" your tank....biggest "trick" in fishkeeping when you are setting up a new tank is to get some old filter media from a healthy established aquarium to "seed" the beneficial bacteria in the new one. If you do it right, you won't have to worry about "new tank syndrome" or about having to wait to "cycle" your tank.

Nanotech9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i've got a 55gal with 4 cichlids and a 3yr old large pleco...

i have 5 but one died...

a secondary 10gal tank was stocked with a bunch of smaller fish and i did the ultimate no-no and added a couple walmart fish and lost them ALL.

I think the big tank got some ick... and all of a sudden all their fins are separating and pointed instead of joined together... and i cant figure out how to get them healthy again.

Got a 6" Jack dempsy "OJ".... a 4" electric yellow, a 5" orange one (dont remember) and a 2" striped guy (vertical striped). I'm not into it enough to remember what i have. (not good)

you got any pointers on keeping the fish more healthy?

Can i add a crawdad to the Chiclid tank? I added a red-clawed crab once and everyone was OK but the crab died a week or so later.

I'm bad about wanting to mix and match fish... working hard not to do that so much anymore.

Latest posts

Top Bottom