Grip strength.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Beings not many participate in the Firearm Training Section here. Thought I'd post what I do to keep forearm and grip strength up in my old age.

I gave @swampratt some RR Iron couple years back, asking him to cut me a small piece off for a small anvil.

He brought this back to me and the top of it was polished to a smooth mirror finish. I kept it by my work bench to use and one day decided to see what it was like to use it to increase grip strength. It weighs right at 35lbs, and I started in on utilizing it by lifting it with one hand down to the stool then back to the work bench as shown in the photos.

I have worked with my hands my whole life and have had a strong grip, but as age increases we lose strength if not kept up.

It took a few weeks to start seeing the changes, but I worked it up to where I can grab it for 5 reps with 5 fingers, 4 reps with 4 fingers, 3 reps with 3 fingers and eventually a couple reps with 2 fingers. Alternating working each hand.

I will grip it at least a couple times a week and when I find that I cannot do the reps as stated above, I will do it every other day till I can do all the reps to 2 fingers easily. Then back to twice a week. It is surprising that the loss of grip strength starts eroding if not done for a couple to three weeks! That is indicative of the whole body as well.

It works bettter than any grip exercise I have ever done. Keeps my fingers hands and forearms in shape.

And keeps my Grip solid on my pistol.

IMG_5761.jpeg

IMG_5762.jpeg

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Interesting you bring this up, I just purchased a grip strength tester a couple months ago after watching some YouTube and my curiosity got the best of me lol. My hands cramped up for about 24 hours after usage the first time....

Pretty sure they error out over 200lbs on the model in the video but not 100% sure.

20240304_101835.jpg

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting you bring this up, I just purchased a grip strength tester a couple months ago after watching some YouTube and my curiosity got the best of me lol. My hands cramped up for about 24 hours after usage the first time....

Pretty sure they error out over 200lbs on the model in the video but not 100% sure.

View attachment 459153

Where’d you get that at?

Dr_Mitch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think 150lbs grip pressure is as far as necessary for shooting. A lot of work with a 200lbs-250lbs gripper can injure your hand after a few thousand reps and it takes about two years to recover. Also, better off to use other methods as well like the OP is doing with the rail section.

There’s a professional product called the SideWinder which is about the best tool to use. It’s from Sportgrips.com, and seems to help train up locking the wrists, which is the real way to control recoil.

Latest posts

Top Bottom