Class III question AA-12 & auto Glock

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MuTau007

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok so I had a few questions for you dealers or more knowledgable folk! Please enlighten me!

Is it possible to obtain, legally, an AA-12 shotgun or a full auto glock? If not, question answered, if so please detail... Tax stamp? ATF papers? Costs, ballpark?? Etc...

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
AA-12, no go. It didn't come into existence until well after May 19, 1986 (the cutoff for making full auto's that are legal for civilian ownership). The AA-12 would be classified as a Destructive Device rather than a machinegun. There are reportedly a tiny handful of transferable Glock 17's that were converted to G-18 configuration, but they never come up for sale and if they did, you can bet the price tag would be astronomical (semi wild-assed guess would be somewhere between $50-120K). Importation of transferable full autos was banned by the 68' GCA. :(

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
AA-12, no go. It didn't come into existence until well after May 19, 1986 (the cutoff for making full auto's that are legal for civilian ownership). The AA-12 would be classified as a Destructive Device rather than a machinegun. There are reportedly a tiny handful of transferable Glock 17's that were converted to G-18 configuration, but they never come up for sale and if they did, you can bet the price tag would be astronomical (semi wild-assed guess would be somewhere between $50-120K). Importation of transferable full autos was banned by the 68' GCA. :(

You bring up a good point about the AA-12. Is it a DD or is it an MG? I don't think it can be both. If it is a DD then I should be able to purchase one as DD's are still available to civilians (I can buy a newly made M203 for example). If it is an MG then it is a post-86 gun and unavailable. I have the feeling that ATF classified these as MG's.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
no such thing as a transferable glock 18 because the first ones didn't come out until 1987 and the cut-off for transferables was may 19 1986

there are some transferable?? aa-12's out there. Janet Reno had them and street sweepers declared DD's and you had to go register them by a certain date. a few got registered. most didn't.
so watch out if somebody tries to sell you one.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You bring up a good point about the AA-12. Is it a DD or is it an MG? I don't think it can be both. If it is a DD then I should be able to purchase one as DD's are still available to civilians (I can buy a newly made M203 for example). If it is an MG then it is a post-86 gun and unavailable. I have the feeling that ATF classified these as MG's.

Good point. I'm sure ATF classified it however they wanted so we couldn't have one. They pretty much do whatever they want anyway. :(

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
no such thing as a transferable glock 18 because the first ones didn't come out until 1987 and the cut-off for transferables was may 19 1986

The cut-off for US made transferable machineguns was May 19, 1986. Imported transferable machineguns (like the Austrian made G18) were stopped by the Gun Control Act of 1968.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

It is both. It will be listed as a machine gun first with (DD) after it. I don't believe an 07/02 can manufacture a full auto shotgun. You'd need a type 10 ffl with a class 2 SOT.

I was just researching this a few days ago. I'll see if I can find the stuff I was reading.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is both. It will be listed as a machine gun first with (DD) after it. I don't believe an 07/02 can manufacture a full auto shotgun. You'd need a type 10 ffl with a class 2 SOT.

I was just researching this a few days ago. I'll see if I can find the stuff I was reading.

Please do. I would be very interested in that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom